Ok-- what is this stuff on Java Moss?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Batt4Christ

Aquarium Advice FINatic
This started appearing a month ago (long before I upgraded my lighting), but seems thicker in the last week (since my new lights- twin T5HO 24watt/48 w total).

Attachments

• image-2210718355.jpg
    image-2210718355.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 80
Not dozing CO2 yet... Had to order some Excel- no- one around here apparently has it...

Also contemplating a "home brew" CO2 setup to try (DIYS). Gotta pick up some airline tubing while out today.

Any other ideas?

Either co2 or excel... You can spot treat with h2o2. An oral syringe makes a great tool for this. I've been battling it in my 40 for a few weeks now, and with the h2o2 spot treatments and cranking my co2 up to 35-40ppm, I've finally got it under control... I think.

I just read elsewhere that using a syringe and disingenuous the Excel directly where the worst of the BBA is will work.

Yes, spot treating with either excel or h2o2 will help for sure (h2o2 is like $1 for a big bottle.. a much cheaper option... I'd spot treat with that and just dose the tank with excel).

Yes, spot treating with either excel or h2o2 will help for sure (h2o2 is like $1 for a big bottle.. a much cheaper option... I'd spot treat with that and just dose the tank with excel).

To spot treat it, do you lower the water level so you can get at it or do you spot treat it under water...which seems really hard.

You take the oral syringe, fill it with h2o2, then just hold it right on the affected area and slowly squeeze some out. You can actually see where it is. It distorts the water right where its at as it dissociates.

You take the oral syringe, fill it with h2o2, then just hold it right on the affected area and slowly squeeze some out. You can actually see where it is. It distorts the water right where its at as it dissociates.

Thanks. I hope I never have to battle BBA but I guess it is inevitable..I just put 24w over my 10g...9.75 hours a day...my plants look good and no algae so far.

At what point does h2o2 become an issue for tank inhabitants? Or do you just put a tiny bit?

It takes just a second to disassociate into O2 and H2O so overdosing is difficult.

I have used 5 syringes full within 10 minutes with no problems. It quickly dissociates in to h2o.. Don't put any directly on fish or inverts though.

Back
Top Bottom