Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-24-2016, 08:30 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Plants Growing Fast But Not Thriving

Hello, I'm having an issue with the plants in my tank. I have both anachris and a temple plant in my tank and they both seem to be having the same issue. They are growing well and fast, but everything besides the new growth seems to be dying. I have the Current USA LED Plus lighting my tank. I also have just standard gravel substrate. It is an established 55 gallon tank. I will be posting pictures shortly.

Old 05-24-2016, 09:02 PM   #2

Old 05-25-2016, 10:01 AM   #3

I've noticed that as well. Commenting so I can follow responses.
Old 05-25-2016, 09:44 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Old Growth Dying, New Growth Thriving

What fertilizers are you using? Are you adding any carbon additives or injecting CO2?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 05-25-2016, 10:32 PM   #5

Its a low tech setup. The only thing I'm using right now is aquion plant food. I've ordered some flourish excel.

Sent from my XT1097 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 05-26-2016, 01:02 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

If these plants are new (few weeks or so), it could be the case where the new growth has adjusted to the tank and is doing well. And the older growth is decaying because, in some instances, the plant's resources are directed to the new growth.
The Anacharis may melt with the addition of Excel.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 05-31-2016, 07:06 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh2o View Post
If these plants are new (few weeks or so), it could be the case where the new growth has adjusted to the tank and is doing well. And the older growth is decaying because, in some instances, the plant's resources are directed to the new growth.
The Anacharis may melt with the addition of Excel.
To add to this, some aquatic plants, despite being aquatic, are actually grown emersed and when placed in an aquarium it triggers the transformation fresh mentions above.
Old 06-08-2016, 08:20 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Emersed to submerged growth is definitely a good thought.

I would also heavy consider a nutrient issue. Plants have the ability to cannibalize old nutrients to make new growth, but only some nutrients, namely all your macronutrients (nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium) plus some micronutrients. This process can be very destructive to older growth, causing a variety off holes and/or discolorations in old leaves but leaving newer growth looking 'ok'.

Are you dosing any fertilizers with macronutrients (NPK)? You look like you have a fairly substantial stock, so this may or may not be the cause, but you almost certainly need some form of additional fertilization given those plants and that amount of lighting.

Tags
dyi, dying, growth, new growth

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com