? On dirt tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angellove78

Aquarium Advice Addict
What's the best dirt you use? I'm wanting to try a dirt tank out. Looking for a little advice. I read about a lot of people using miracle grow organic potting soil. I'm thinking about trying that out. And Maybe topping it off with sand. Thoughts!!!??

I have used mgops and black diamond blasting sand. My dirt was pretty hot with ammonia for a couple of months. Otherwise, I like it

MGOCPM and black diamond course grit blasting sand is the staple of dirted tank. Research mineralization, probably best to perform that process prior to adding to the tank.

Remember, dirt only supplies nutrients for so long, and you'll have to supplement faster than you think. Organic material has a high CEC so water column dosing is likely enough to help keep it charged up with nutrients.

Dirt is also extremely dirty.... Uprooting plants a lot will cause quite a mess. You'll breach the cap eventually, just make sure you are ready for when you do.

I was just thinking of starting a little 10g up to try it out. I have some seeds to plant. I wouldn't use it for very long. Just long enough to get my plants started.

I did seedling potting mix in pots capped with gravel. Avoid any additives like soil wetter (not needed here lol). Also avoid soil with mulch - I find it floats.

As above clay soils with high CEC mixed with high potassium (low fe, cu) ferts plus maybe add some dolomite carbonates.

Back
Top Bottom