One month later... (before and current pics)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CGGorman

Aquarium Advice Activist
Starting to look like something. Still not happy with the cloudiness, though. Also need to get moved into the new house so I can swtich to the Eco-Complete. The darker substrate should help the color pallette tremendously.

One month ago.
img_587233_0_0d904adf8c271f6ce76196c9fe60a3bb.jpg

Tonight.
img_587233_1_9a4c11edb25d50e98163c36060e0c7ee.jpg

A couple lillys with emergent growth.
img_587233_2_93218a05990d455f322dc4d1d90c22d5.jpg

Wow, that is an amazing change. How did you make the lighting change so much? (major novice here)

Anna

Let me guess, one of the things you did was go from a 10000k bulb to a 6400k bulb? I have the 6400k bulb in my 26G and looks kind of like that, more yellows like sunlight. My 12000k bulbs in my 75G are more white and blue, like your first pic. How close am I? LOL

Great looking tank..... (y)

No change to the lighting. It's running two 96W PC "dual-daylight" 6.5k/10k.

I added a black background. There was no background in the first shot.

The cloudiness has subsided somewhat.

I'm sure the 30 pounds of Malaysian has leeched some tannins, too.

Nice tank. Are you using Walstad's methods on it? Just curious.

No. I have another tank (55) that falls under Walstad's description of low-tech., except for the gravel (no soil). This tank (70) has all the bells and whistles of a "high-tech" tank: 5lb. pressurized CO2 w/ Milwaukee SMS122 controller, Flourite gravel (gonna change to E-C, though), Rena XP3, Inline CO2 reactor, substrate heat, moonlights, 200W of PC broadspectrum lighting, PMDD ferts., timers, etc.

The growth rate and foliage shape/color differences between the two tanks are remarkable. Granted, I'm still running 2mm fracted quartz gravel in the low-tech tank, so my color and shape in that tank might improve once I throw some better substrate in it. Regardless, the plants in the 70 grow about 3x faster and have much better color shape. The emergent leaves of those lillys are almost violet. You can actually see the lilly bulbs floating at the surface in the "before" pic. The pictured growth is only about three weeks!

I've noticed that when I do a fresh water change, the lighting it much brighter because of the waste which was removed from the water was affecting the light.

The tank I bought my neice and nephiew has the same problem with the water being cloudy just like the one in the first picture. I think it's harmless, but not as nice to look at when it's cloudy.

Back
Top Bottom