One more Nitrate issue + 20ppm out of tap

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dontdly01

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi sorry to butt into this forum, however the challenge I'm experiencing is somewhat similar [to another recent nitrate issue thread] with a few variables.

I have a 40gal with 5 3-4" cichlid labs and peacocks. Parameters:
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 40
Ammonia:0
Ph 7.8

My tap comes out with 20ppm, I cant seem to bring my water down below 40ppm and sometimes it spikes to 80ppm. I've been doing 25% water changes weekly for the last month to no avail. I've reduced their feeding to once a day and cut their rations to 1/2.

I've had to move one peacock to a hospital tank as it was starting to look stressed and eventually started to swim sideways. I cant seem to bring the smaller tank under control either. I've been doing 10% changes in that tank daily and the fish seems to be doing somewhat better.

I thought of putting some plants in there but my guys eat plants as appetizers. Thought of sheltering the plants but wanted to ask the forum for advise first.

Any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Dontdly01, WELCOME!!!

Are you familiar with the nitrogen cycle? If so, is your tank cycled and how long has it been running for?

Are you using untreated tap water to rinse your filters, and/ or replacing the filter pads on a regular basis?

Maybe post a pic or 3 of your tank full tank shot (fts) and a left and right so we can see the plants a bit closer.

Last edited:
Oops mis-read the plant part.

If you know of fast growing stem plants which grow like weeds in your area's water, like Anacharis/Elodea/Water weed, or Hornwort, milfoil, etc. Try buying a decent amount of them and yes you could shield them from your fish.

One thing which might work is stitching together a "cage" made from the plastic canvas craft sheets often used for cross stitch.

You can use fly tying monofilm line as it is nice comes in small rolls and is varigated in color to blend in.

7-Count Clear Ultra Stiff Plastic Canvas Sheet | Hobby Lobby

Comes in different colors like green and black, white and clear.

If needed you could add a few sinkers to keep it at the height you want

Hi Autumnsky, thank you for your prompt response. My tanks have been in place for 4 years, except the hospital tank; it goes up as needed. The one my peacock has been up for 4 months. I'll work on pics.

Great idea about the plant shields, I'll get on it right away!

To answer one of your questions, I have used tap to rinse the filter sponges. Should I stop doing that?

I change the filters about once a month. They do gunk up fast which led me to believe I was feeding too much. Would you recommend I change them more often.

Thank you again about the plant idea, very clever.

One final question, I found this link on water changes.

https://www.hamzasreef.com/Contents/Calculators/EffectiveWaterChange.php

I've always been somewhat apprehensive to make greater than 30% changes however if this is a valid reference, it would seem that I'm not putting much of a dent in my water changes and should go for larger quantities. What is your thought on this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Assume that the water you were changing out had 0 nitrates in it and that your nitrates were 100. If you did a 50% water change, it would then be 50. It would then go on to rise until your next water change.
This is why water changes are important and need to happen on a weekly basis. If not, things can easily spiral out of control and can take a large amount of time and effort to fix.

Thank you Autumnsky and Sniperhank. I made a 50% water change, picked up some plants for all the tanks and made some nifty cages for them as suggested.

I'm really encouraged. I'll send an update in a few days; I'm hoping for a successful outcome!

Hi Autumnsky, thank you for your prompt response. My tanks have been in place for 4 years, except the hospital tank; it goes up as needed. The one my peacock has been up for 4 months. I'll work on pics.

Great idea about the plant shields, I'll get on it right away!

To answer one of your questions, I have used tap to rinse the filter sponges. Should I stop doing that?

I change the filters about once a month. They do gunk up fast which led me to believe I was feeding too much. Would you recommend I change them more often.

Thank you again about the plant idea, very clever.

One final question, I found this link on water changes.

https://www.hamzasreef.com/Contents/Calculators/EffectiveWaterChange.php

I've always been somewhat apprehensive to make greater than 30% changes however if this is a valid reference, it would seem that I'm not putting much of a dent in my water changes and should go for larger quantities. What is your thought on this?

Here comes a big surprise of info!

Tap water has chlorine and often chloramine which are the exact things that kill BB, which is what you want to keep for your tank to run smoothly. Throwing out the filter pads is the same as throwing out your BB colony!!!

NOOOOOO! Don't do that. Check out the link in my signature for some info specifically the nitrification cycle. You can scan past what you are already familiar with.

Weekly pwc are really a must. Plants can help but not replace the new fresh water and minerals, etc. you get with clean tap water (even when not perfectly clean).

If after the changes all mentioned here and cleaning you are still high in nitrates, it could be the kinds of food and you may need to just up the amount or frequency of the pwc. Filtration check.

You can usually add an additional filter pad into the HOB to double the colony building area for BB.

I am a big over feeder (I am trying to be better).

Just reduce how much you feed.

When I was getting ready for a trip away for a few days I needed to see how much to tell the family to feed. What shocked me was the difference in how much I believe I need to feed - a few shakes, lets say equating to 20 pellets, and how much I actually shake in there maybe 60 :eek:

Try the experiment and see how you do. Shake/add what you would normally feed into a plastic cup (or what ever you have to use) blindly like if it was the tank.

Then do not look.

Take a second round and add specifically how much you think you should be feeding on a white piece of paper towel or copy paper, paper plate, etc.

Then look at the 2 side by side and compare, see how you did!

Mine was mind blowing. Looking at the exact amount you want to feed is very helpful and better than adding directly into the tank.

Depending on your schedule, some people will use pill daily/weekly AM/PM pill keepers to put the food in premeasured daily "doses". To help. (dollar store cheap) It would be too much extra effort for me, too many tanks, but great for leaving on vacation for a few days or week. (other people are really bad about feeding your fish!!!)

Likely you will find it would be better to feed half of what you are feeding now divided in 2 for AM & PM.

One other thing about feeding. Some fish it will take a minute for them to get the idea that you are feeding them. So add a couple pellets to get the smell into the water and get them aware of it being food time, then spend a couple minutes dropping in food slowly as they eat it, until you have them fed.

Other fish see you move an arm for a drink of coffee while sitting in your chair and they are begging in front of the tank, lol!

Last edited:
50 pwc is a good general rule. Everyone tank is different. But here is an idea I use regardless of my paticular tank or pwc on said tank. My wc day is always the same day (sunday). The last wc of the month will be larger than first three. So 50, 50, 50, 75....

I want to thank you ALL for your advise. today is 9th day since I posted my nitrate concern and I'm excited to report that they have significantly dropped to 0ppm.

My beautiful Red Shoulder Peacock in the hospital tank is visibly more active. He's out of his hiding cave swimming about, he rarely came out in the past. From the corner of my eye I catch him in staring at me... I want to believe he has a crush on me, albeit
m sure I have lunch written all over me. Crush or lunch it makes me happy to see him respond so positively.

The other tanks are also doing great, the only one that is a bit stubborn is my fry tank, but I'll keep at it with the WCs.

I've adopted the 50/50/50/75 WC approach and I'm certain the plants contributed significantly. I'm even happy to report that the Dracaena plants i left outside of the safety cages are still standing! Either the cichlids don't dig the taste of them or they like how they look too.

Again, thank you for sharing your experience with me and my companions.

With clean water many things are made easier.

So happy to hear that you have made significant progress and are seeing the good results of your extra efforts!

Back
Top Bottom