Only the Elodea Dies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Piggypie

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a planted tank with two types of Anubis, a type of java fern, water wisteria, creeping jenny, a marimo ball, and several other plants, that are all doing great. However, my bunch of elodea (which I expected to be the hardiest plant of the bunch) keeps turning translucent yellow-green and disappearing. My tank is moderately stocked, kept at medium light for 8 hours a day (I recently cut back from 12 because algae spots were starting to grow faster than my plants), 76-78 degrees, medium current, and the water is slightly soft. I use API Leaf zone and Seachem Flourish every few weeks, but not to their full strength, and recently bought a CO2 additive by API to help out my plants. Does anyone know what's going on here?

That could be it... It seemed like it was in a tropical tank at the store, but next time I go I'll ask, thanks.

It might also be the API CO2 Booster you are adding (assuming it was added before the elodea die off). It has the same active ingredient as Seachem Flourish Excel and is known to affect Val's and anarcharis.

Excel has glutaraldehyde, regular Flourish does not. The API stuff has glutaraldehyde as well.

And as was stated, elodia (anarcharis) does not do well with Excel/API because of it.

Back
Top Bottom