Opinion on home brew substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

matthew798

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone!

I was hoping I could get some input on a substrate recipe I am considering.

So I considered things like flourish, and decided that i can't justify the cost.

I've been reading so much about various ingredients for substrates that my head is spinning.

Basically, what I hope to have your approval on:

Step 1: Make mineralized Soil (from: Greater Washington Aquatic Plant Association » Mineralized Soil Substrate Just the soil, not any of the additives)

Step 2: Mix in Peat moss (yes, the right kind)

Step 3: Mix in clay (pottery clay)

Step 4: Add layer of bone meal

Step 5: cap with cured play sand

Cheap i know!

The reason I am adding peat moss is two-fold. Firstly, as I understand it, the moss has good nutrient retention-distribution. Second, it seems that it will lower the pH of the tank. Currently, my tank is around 7.5 (i know it's high for loaches) so reducing it would be good.

For the bone meal, it is to add calcium and (nitrogen?). I'm not too sure about the bone meal that I have. here it is: BONE WITH HUMATES - 4-7-0 | Patrick Morin

As for the clay, I have no idea why i would add it lol. It seems to be in most of the suggestions I found so, why not!

I plan on keeping my fish in a separate tank for a while just to be sure the water isn't radically different. If so, i'll slowly acclimatize them over a couple of days.

Well there it is! I hope everything is clear! Thanks!!

Looks like a good start to a dirted setup. I have a dirted 40b currently and my only thing is the color of my water like there's a bit of tannins in it but all my paramaters are perfect

Sent from my HTCEVODesign4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom