Opposite guppy problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SaraB

Aquarium Advice Addict
Weird title but here me out. I put guppies in my 20 gallon temperate tank (72f),1 male and 2 females.
It started out normal with the male occasionally pestering the females. This week however they have turned on him. He has a chunk of his tail missing and has been hiding from them.
My questions are

1. Has anyone else had aggressive female guppies?

2. What do I do?
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 5-10ppm
*Note they are not pregnant and they are constantly swimming together. It's rare to find them on opposite sides of the tank.

I’ve had mollies do that. Occasionally just cannot get along instead of ‘oh, whatever’. I’ve added more fish with some success. Other times they get along enough or I’ve lost the weaker one.

It didn't work. He's missing more of his tail every morning. I see the fry more than the male.
I'm going to see if I can return him and just keep the 2 females in by themselves. They make a cute couple.

I think I'm going to return all 3 if them and switch it out for some cherry shrimp or a clawed frog.
He doesn't open until 12 so I have at least until then to decide.

Didn't happen. I went out to get groceries and they had killed him before I got back. They looked pretty beat up as well so I'm treating them with melafix to help with the fins. I don't think he'll take them in the condition they are in.
I think once they are better I will put them in the 55g and turn my 20g into a terrarium or something without animals.

I woke up this morning to them both dead. Just the fry remain. I might move them to the 55g soon, platy fry have no issue surviving in there. I'll move the 20g plants as well.

Back
Top Bottom