Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-19-2014, 10:49 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ordering plants in the winter...

Due to where I live, it is hard for me to find certain plants, so I'll have to order some from Peabody's sooner or later. I'll start injecting CO2 into my tank around New Year's, so beyond that point, I'll be ready to start adding more/new plants. The only problem that I have is that I live in Ohio. Last year it was freakishly cold, and I think that it'll be like that again this year. I was wondering, is it okay to order plants in the winter? What temperatures would be dreadful to the life of the plants?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 11-19-2014, 11:12 PM   #2
come get me tang police!

I ship plants for the most part all through the winter. It really depends a lot on who you buy from and how well they package the plants. I use styro lining and it seems to work well. The plants will be OK for the most part as long as they don't freeze solid. I have submerged aquarium plants in my container ponds and the water has been in the 30s and even froze over this morning and they are still alive and well.

Old 11-21-2014, 06:53 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

If it's below freezing, I put a heat pack in with plants I ship. I use styro too, but here, it's darn cold in the winter. I also strongly advise overnight shipping. Yes, it's much more expensive, but it's also much more likely to result in live plants arriving.
Old 11-23-2014, 10:43 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks for the info guys. It looks like I'll be ordering plants in the winter after all... just not when it is in the subzero category.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 11-23-2014, 10:52 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I live in Alaska and have plants shipped in and out all year round, even when its insanely subzero cold. Never used a heat pack on them either, just good insulation.
Old 11-24-2014, 12:39 AM   #6
come get me tang police!

I never use heat packs either, it can hurt the plants more than it helps. Plants are totally fine getting cold (unlike many tropicals), they just can't endure a hard freeze.

Tags
plant, plants

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com