Ordering plants on line...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eykis9

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Central IL - just 15 miles east of St. Louis, MO
Just thought I'd share my recent experience here for those who are considering odering on line. Following is the order I placed (at http://www.aquariumplant.com ) and notes about each. (For the most part, I only wanted easy/fast growing plants)

2 @ $2.99each- Java Moss (Vesicularia Dubyana)(clump approx size of tennis ball, claim on website).
Was actually the size of a golf ball but still very nice!

12@$5.99- Sword, Broad Leaf Chain (Echinodorus quadricostatus)10 plants in order.
Beautiful plants with lots of healthy roots, better than I expected!

3@$1.69each- Wisteria (Hygrophila difformis)(potted)
The plants were large specimens with nice healthy roots however, they were packed sperate from all the others and should've been packed in water/moist wrap because the leaves wilted. I planted them anyway and am hoping they'll spring back and/or grow out new healthy leaves. I am going to suggest this to the company.

6@$1.09each- Anacharis (Egeria densa)(LARGE size 9"-11", about. 6 stems each)
These were extremely beautiful, vibrant and healthy but I should've only ordered 3 as this was way more than what I needed.

1@$4.90each- Dwarf Subulata (Sagittaria subulat) 1=10 Plants
These I did not receive, possibly an oversight.

2@$1.69each- Mexican Oak Leaf (Shinnersia rivularis)
At the time of shipment they were out of this but they did send a replacement plant but I'm not sure what they are. I would rather they just not send anything or give you an option of selecting a preferred replaced when ordering.

I placed my order on a Monday morning and selected the 2-3 day delivery option. The shipping costs were very reasonable at $8 and some change. On Friday I still hadn't received my order so i called the company. They were extremely nice and informed me they shipped it out Thursday morning. The reason for delay was because they were waiting for a new shipment of plants from Africa. That was fine with me but they could've just mentioned this in the order/shipping e-mail they sent out, but no big deal. Oh, and there were no snails on any of the plants although, I wouldn't have minded a few, lol!

In conclusion, I am quite happy with my experience with this company and fell certain that when i contact them monday morning about the missing item that we can resolve the oversight. If not, I'll let ya's know.

:D

I think you will be happy wit these. The wisteria will spring back pretty quick. no way it's dead. may lose a few leaves, but thats it.

You should be very pleased with your order. With the plants you selected, you'll have a tank full before you know it!

well, I called the company this morning and they were extremely nice and very sorry for any problems i encountered & more than happy to set things right.... yes, i'm very pleased. as for the wisteria, most of the leaves are still wilted looking but the roots are very healthy. i'm going to give them about a week and then will just trim off any leaves that aren't going to make it. i'm sure it will do fine.

thaks for the links terry, however, i go to those sites all the time. i believe what they sent was. baby tears (Hemianthus micranthemoides).

i have question for you, corvuscorax. looking at your pics, i see you have a Diatom filter. i am thinking a purchasing one myself for this tank (20g. high). this is the one i'm considering: http://www.petsmart.com/fish/shoppi...ration_equipment/products/product_16183.shtml i am wondering though, in your opinion, do you think this is a better filter than something like the eheim filters?

thanks!
:D

I just purchased the diatom XL for my 29 gal discus tank. It is one royal pain in the butt to set up, but......... It polishes the water crystal clear in under an hour. Being that I use it once a week (because I feed my discus heavily), I wouldn't be without it. Hope this helps.

Brian

Eykis:

Well, What I have is a Magnum 350 that can be used as a diatom filter. Diatom filtration is for water polishing, or for sensitive fish, as brian said. It is NOT an every day filter. It will clear your water to unbeliveable clarity!

For a planted 20 high? I'd get the HOT magnum. It is a good filter, much quiter (actually dead silent) than the 350 and can still be used as a diatom filter! Has the same micron cartridge as the 350. I used it to clear a green water attack in my 90 gallon tank (before I owned a 350). Took 2 days, but it still worked!

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=3250 using a magnum as a diatom filter.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/sc_view.cfm?siteid=6&pCatId=3580
foster and smith filters, check out the magnums, 350 and H.O.T.

HTH, CC

Back
Top Bottom