Orinoco 40gal Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

User

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Start 9/4/2011

Thanks to petco's dollar per gallon sale, I was finally able to buy my dream tank, a 40 gal breeder. After doing some research, I want to try to make an Orinoco Biotope. Now I know there are a lot of different parts to this river so I am going to need some advice.

This is what I currently want:

-Somewhat medium current in the tank
-Some plants (somewhat sparse looking)(need to survive in high 02 env)
-Tree root/branch driftwood
-NOT brackisk but clear
-Sand/gravel mix?
-larger river type rocks

Fish list thus far:

-L200 pleco (this tank is being built for this fish)
-Neon/cardinal tetras x5 or green neon tetra
-German Blue Rams x2 ???

Now I am not sure what kind of fish besides the L200. Hopefully something from the region that likes semi fast water.

Tank Setup: (needed)

Fluval 405
Powerhead?
Heater
Some sort of lighting for the sparse plants

If you have any ideas for the things that arent clear, I will definately tanke them into consideration. Thanks for your time!

Update: 9/5/11

Purchased 20lbs of Caribseas Supernaturals- $24.99 (I know there is cheaper sand but I wanted this kind)

Budget: $700.00 MAX

Total cost:

-$47.70 (1) 40gal Breeder
-$26.74 (1) 20lb bag of Caribsea Supernaturals
= -$74.44

Budget left: $625.56

Still need:
-Fluval 405
-Rocks
-Lighting (something to keep the plants alive while dimmed)
-Fish
-Plants
-Driftwood (tree root style)

Orinoco is a river in Venezuela. Its been hard getting information since the river does not have one distinct characteristic, but almost all kinds of characteristics. The tank I am building is going to try to mimic a certain area in the Upper Orinoco River where the L200 pleco and, I think, green neon tetra live. The water is going to be semi fast moving and a little stained with tannins. I am doing research as I go clearly lol

Update 9/5/11

Completed:

-Washed and added sand

-Found rocks (free)

-Added rocks (need more)

User said:
Update 9/5/11

Completed:

-Washed and added sand

-Found rocks (free)

-Added rocks (need more)

Are you going to put any plants?

User said:
Orinoco is a river in Venezuela. Its been hard getting information since the river does not have one distinct characteristic, but almost all kinds of characteristics. The tank I am building is going to try to mimic a certain area in the Upper Orinoco River where the L200 pleco and, I think, green neon tetra live. The water is going to be semi fast moving and a little stained with tannins. I am doing research as I go clearly lol

As for tanning, you can use peat moss or indian almond leaves. How many gallons is your tank?

yea I have a list somewhere, ahha here:

Common Amazon Sword (Echinodorus amazonicus)
Pygmy Chain Sword (Echinodorus tenellus)
Anacharis (Egeria densa)
Pennywort (Hydrocotyle leucocephala)
Pipewort (Eriocaulon sp.)
Variable Leaf Water Hyacinth (Eichhornia diversifolia)
Red Hygrophila (Alternanthera reinecki)
Hornwort (Ceratophyllum submersum)
Water Millfoil (Myriophyllum elatinoides)
Vallisneria spiralis
Eichhornia crassipes
Eichhornia azurea
Pistia stratiotes
Thalia geniculata
Salvinia sp.
Ipomoea sp.
Eleocharis sp.
Cyperus sp.
Cabomba sp.
Ludwigia sp.
Utricularia sp.
Heteranthera sp.
Sagittaria sp.

Copy paste! I will probably have some of these if possible. The tank will have a decent current so idk which ones yet. and the lighting will be kind of subdued

I have a few pieces of driftwood that release tannins. though i will use peat moss as well and ro water

tank is a 40gal breeder

alex07 said:
As for tanning, you can use peat moss or indian almond leaves. How many gallons is your tank?

Sorry i forgot it was a 40 gallon

Remember since your lights will be low you should stick to low light plants. You can use vals and spread them out they'll grow practically in any lights and/or conditions.

User said:
I have a few pieces of driftwood that release tannins. though i will use peat moss as well and ro water

tank is a 40gal breeder

I would you use branchy types of wood and scatter them

I would you use branchy types of wood and scatter them

Yep thats what I was thinking. Definately want a small to medium sized root structure for the left side.
Maybe one or two pieces for the right side. It will look somewhat sparse

User said:
Yep thats what I was thinking. Definately want a small to medium sized root structure for the left side.
Maybe one or two pieces for the right side. It will look somewhat sparse

I used manzanita wood for my biotope, I have 3 pieces on my 12 gallon.

I used manzanita wood for my biotope, I have 3 pieces on my 12 gallon.

I guess I wont find driftwood from orinoco lol at least it might be from venezuela

User said:
I guess I wont find driftwood from orinoco lol at least it might be from venezuela

It doesnt have to be from there. I did a blackwater rio negro and used manzanita for the branchy look. You can do the same

Back
Top Bottom