Osmocote alternative?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cyris69

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've been to every garden supply store, big chain places and local nurseries and can not find the osmocote plus. I have found indoor and outdoor version as well as fruits and veggies version. Can I use either of these or is the a more assessable alternative brand?

I'm currently using the indoor outdoor formula, I couldn't find the plus either.
Granted it doesn't have all the micros, but I supplement the osmocote with seachem flourish since I so have filter feeding plants.

I think there is some differences.. I've read in other forums of others using the fruit / veg with good results. I've only started using it less than a month so I can't it's made a difference, But my plants are still doing fine. Either way, I'm confident I'll see some results in another month or so.

So I will still need to dose flourish? I'm assuming not as often?

I'M doing the ice cube method how many granules do I use?

So I will still need to dose flourish? I'm assuming not as often?

I'M doing the ice cube method how many granules do I use?

Osmocote better helps root feeders... Plants like java ferns pull nutrients from the water ... So you'd want to dose liquid ferts. 4 - 6 pellets per cube.

Osmocote + has a micromix in it, the basic garden formulas are just NPK (macros).

I've heard of people using jobes plant spikes with good results but I have never tried it.

With any of these terrestrial fertilizers it is important to note that they utilize ammoniacal nitrogen so if you are heavy handed or careless with it you may have an ammonia spike.

Do baby tears draw from the column? I only really have rooted plants. When people do the capsules they add 30-60 pellets do why fewer with ice?

I can find jobes spikes everywhere is there a particular type? Of do I just break the spike and use the pellets inside?

Osmocote Outdoor & Indoor Slow Release Plant Food 19-6-12

Components Weight %
Ammoniumnitrate, NH4NO3 30-60
Potassium Phosphate 10-30
Ammonium Phosphate 7-13
Calciumphosphate, Ca3(PO4) 3-7

Scotts® Osmocote® 14-14-14, 3-4 Months

Components Weight %
Ammonium nitrate, NH4NO3 15-40
Potassium sulphate, K2SO4 15-40
Ammonium phosphate 10-30
Calciumphosphate, Ca3(PO4) 5-10

Not sure about the differences in the two products or which is better. I can't find any percentages for the Jobe's Ingredients. http://www.gemplers.com/docs/msds/8772.pdf

So which should I get when I don't have access to plus? Do I go Jobe's or osmocote and if so which one (veggie or indoor/outdoor) I'm going out to get this tomorrow morning and do the ice method. Is it safe to use 30-60 granules like those who use 00 capsules or just 5-6 in the cubes? Also just use enough water to cover the granules for freezing?

I've not used the plant spikes but I'd be really careful if you do use them. The osmocote granules are meant for slow release over several months so they shouldn't nuke your tank with ammonia like a dissolving plant spike could.

When I used osmocote I just put enough granules to cover the bottom of each section of the tray and just enough water to cover them.

Thanks to all of you who have chimed in and helped :) I just went ahead with dry ferts from aquariumfertilizer seemed a better and equally priced solution. I wanted to find osmocote plus but I would need to order online so I went with a specialized formula.

:thanks:

I used to use Jobes plant sticks years ago and had great results. I know there was a specific one to use but it was about 8 years ago and I can't recall which one it was. Sorry. I ordered osmacote plus on Amazon. Much easier than hunting all over town in my case. I think osmacote plus is a much better option than Jobe's.

Back
Top Bottom