Out Break

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bill Blue

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,

I have invested in a new lighting system (4 wpg) a co2 system (nutrafin natural plant system), flourite as a substrate and I am currently having a major out break of algae in my 10g aquarium. The algea is green and string like and has covered the walls and the plants. I am keeping my lights on about 12 hours a day and can not afford a test kit at the moment. Please help.

It could be several things. You could have to much phosphate, you could have little or no nitrate or your CO2 levels are not high enough.

The only way to tell is by testing the water.

IMO, your lights are on way too long. It's recommended that you don't leave your lights on more then 8 hours a day.

Leaving it on that long causes stress on your fish (cause fish do need to rest too) and the excess algae.

I would recommend that you clean off whatever algae you can now, do small water changes daily and by reducing your light time, that should fix your problem.

I have read many things on light and most say leave it atleast 12 hours.... I have always done this and never had any problem or deaths.... in fact I leave mine on 16 hours... I have read that you leave it on like you would the regular sun....check you c02 levels and what not....4 wpg is alot

Yes, that's the first time I've ever ever heard about 12 hours would be too much :? ! I always had my light on for at least 12 hours and my tanks had never any kind of algae-outbreak 8) ! In fact my plants looked excellent and my fish have all lived for a long time!

I think with 4wpg there are really some nutrients missing. It is impossible though to say which ones. If you just go ahead and dose more nutrients the algae even might get worse. Try more CO2 first, I don't think it can make the algae worse.

I had a similar problem, and I found that my water change water was an issue. I switched to RO water and the hair algae went away. I had tried diffrent spectrum lighting, CO2 injection, and supplements.

Is this a new tank? It if is then alge is to be expected until your plants take hold and start to out compete for the nutrients.

IMO nutrafin natural plant system will not deliver the ammount of CO2 nessary for 4wpg, but that depends on the size of the tank.

FawnN said:
IMO, your lights are on way too long. It's recommended that you don't leave your lights on more then 8 hours a day.

there is absolutely nothing wrong with a 12 hour lighting period. That's what I use on all my tanks, and the only algae I get is the typical minor nuisance kind.

You really need your water tested. teh LFS can probably test nitrates, but I doubt they'll have a phoshate test kit, unless they do a lot of reef keeping.

a 4wpg tank is no simple task to maintain. You need to test nitrates and phosphates, and you'll have to dose iron, traces, and NPK to keep the plants growing, and the algae at bay.

What is your CO2 ppm at? Do you even have Kh and pH test kits? You cannot attack this blindly, or it'll all be wasted time.

Back
Top Bottom