Over planted tanks - O2 issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Delapool

AA Member
Site Team
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1409484622.916535.jpg

Is it possible to overload a tank with plants and get O2 levels drop too much at night? This the small tank where plants actually grow well. I've been keeping plants in there for whenever I get Molly fry (taking ages) but starting to wonder if the tank is getting over-run with too much plant growth.

If you're not running co2 I can't see it being an issue. Are the fish acting funny in the morning? At the surface?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

IMO as long as there is a decent amount of unobstructed surface available, then it should be fine. Now if the surface was COMPLETELY covered with a floating plant such as duckweed, then I might worry about it. Then again, I believe duckweed respire through the surface leaves so maybe they do deduct from the O2 levels...idk. Regardless of that, available surface area is important.
Btw that is a nice looking tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks for the replies. The fish have been good and I haven't noticed anything but wanted to check. No Co2, just liquid carbon? I have some drfitwood that I'm trying to sink but otherwise going well. The idea was this tank would be for fry and plant growing but I'm getting more plants and less fry than I thought. Thanks for the comment on the tank, that really cheers me up.

I had the idea that I would get some baby mollies and then shift the water sprite (?) in the pot to the main tank. But I shifted two of them and they died off. Sooo I've left this one until I get baby mollies. But the molly in there seems to be taking forever and meanwhile the plants are taking off. I've shifted some foxtail to the main tank as well but yeah, was thinking is there some point where there are too many plants. I'll have a closer look in the morning, that's an excellent idea.

It can, but it's unlikely.

For example:

HVKc5E7.jpg

This was my 55g and there were absolutely no issues with too much co2 at night. It helps to go hoodless with planted tanks to avoid the build up of co2.

Back
Top Bottom