Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-03-2007, 11:36 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Overdosing Excel for thread algae

I have:

46 gallon bow front
Lightly planted
no CO2
80* temp
3 hatchets
2 cories
2 yo-yos
5 cardinals
2 mini tetras (white tip I think)

I also have a nice growth of thread algae...or perhaps hair algae that is concentrated on the plants. There is a little bit on the out take of my bio-wheel but not much in comparison to the plants.
I have tried manual removal but it obviously keeps coming back.

I have read that an overdosing of Excel will help bring it under control. I have also heard that peroxide will work as well. I am wanting to know which method is recommended and will it harm the fish? From what I am reading 3x teh normal dosing for several days is what is recommended for the Excel. I just want to know if anyone has any experience with this.

Thanks in advance.

Also, I know I need to find out where the sunlight might be coming in from and fix...this is just for AFTER I fix that problem and want to remove the algae.

Old 04-04-2007, 01:14 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

You should not over dose this product, there's no real need.
If you have too few plants and non CO2, you will grow something, but it will not be plants............

Add more plants.
Add Excel as per the suggestions, that will address things in the simplest manner for you.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Old 04-04-2007, 02:01 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks Tom
Old 04-04-2007, 11:20 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to David14259
I dosed the 'after a large water change' amount on the excel bottle for a week and it cleared up my green spot algae and hair algae.

I believe it was 1 capful/10 gallons/day.

My Tank: 20 Gallon Freshwater High Tech Planted
My Plants: Dwarf Sagittaria, Riccia, Crypt Lutea, Rotala Macandra, Corkscrew Val, Blyxa Japonica, Ambulia, Anubias Nana, Flame Moss, Christmas Moss, Echinodorus Parviflorus.
My Fish: 1 German Gold Ram, 3 Praecox Rainbows, 1 Otocinclus Catfish, 1 Siamese Algae Eater, 1 Rummynose Tetra, 4 Cherry Barbs
My Inverts: Ramshorn Snails, Apple Snails.
David14259 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 12:06 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by David14259
I dosed the 'after a large water change' amount on the excel bottle for a week and it cleared up my green spot algae and hair algae.

I believe it was 1 capful/10 gallons/day.
David, you addressed exactly what I needed to know before putting Excel in my tank. Of course, I could've started a thread, but then I wouldn't have known that locorosa is still alive.

I bought a bottle last week and will use it this week during my PWC.
Thanks.
Old 04-04-2007, 05:11 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I had that hair algae problem with high light 4wpg. Now it is 2wpg and also have a Florida Flag fish and gold barbs to control it. It is manageable now.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:42 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Haha!!!! I am still alive Ghoti... Just have Spring Fever so I've been outside. You can hijack this thread, it's payment for not contributing to the community.

I have a low light setup on the tank BUT must be getting some filtered sunlight from a window that is along our roofline. Grrr...being vampires has it's downsides.

I am addressing the sunlight issue but am really sick of twice weekly algae patrol so wanted an easier fix for it's demise. Water perims are perfect and the fish are healthy so I am thankful on that account.

If anyone else has any suggestions or other tips I am all ears!
Old 04-04-2007, 08:49 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Since you mentioned you're not using CO2 and you have concerns about your tank possibly getting some sunlight, what's missing is what is your current light level? How often are you changing your water?
Old 04-04-2007, 08:50 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Nope, no need to hijack. Question(s) answered. LOL.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:12 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have a plain old light ballast with three flourescent bulbs in it...I believe they are 25 watts each. Very low light.
I am doing a 25% water change weekly and once a month or so it's 50%. I am testing the perims at least once a week and they are excellent. I dose Flourish 2x a week and I have 5 or 6 low light plants: Wisteria, Water Sprite, Bacopa, Tropical Sunset (man made), and Anubias.

Tags
algae, dosing, excel

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com