Paludarium attempt!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lbannie

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I had an empty 10 gallon tank sitting around and I've been looking at these great pics of paludariums and now I have the bug. I'm thinking of keeping fire belly toads since I'm realizing I won't have much water area.
My idea is to have a waterfall coming from driftwood in the right rear side. I used touch n foam to hold it in place and floral foam to make land area. I'm going to add soil into the foam area and behind the driftwood where I've hollowed it out.
What do you think??
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437000775.924317.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437000820.312741.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437000870.973986.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437000957.466138.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Following along, don't know much about paled around but looks good so far :D

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Looks nice so far! I would put gravel or something around the back wall to cover up the foam. You could do some fiddle crabs too if you're willing to go brackish, but newts would be cool too. There are a lot of semi-water animals. You could also do some small frogs if you wanted too. Are you going to plant it?

I saw online people covering foam with peat moss. I was thinking about moss for the foam under driftwood. I'm going to put gravel on the land area foam.
I was interested in dart frogs, but I think I'm going to go with fire belly toads. Maybe some shrimp. Yes I want to plant it!

Sounds like a good plan! I would be careful and reconsider shrimp because they may become food for the toads at some point. Another thing to look out for is the toads because they release toxins into the water and I'm not sure how fish or shrimp would handle that. If you want to do fish I bet you could do guppies, but they may get eaten at some point. Peat moss works great for the back wall. Here is a cool video I found on the whole process, I know you already did all this but just to share:
What plants are you planning on doing?

Im not sure about the plants yet. I have a polka dot plant and a pilea Aqua. They might go in

Waiting for silicone to dry!! I put some gravel over foamed areas to look a little less fake. Siliconed tubing for waterfall and glued in a piece of driftwood to attempt to hide pump and keep gravel out of it. Next pic will have water!!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437249857.479186.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437249875.586435.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437249891.224133.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437249908.601233.jpg

This is very cool.

I just set up a 10g tank for some fire belly toads.

The key is having a land section and a water section. I think minimum is 25% water.

I used a brick with some sphagnum moss on it to separate my land and water areas.

Caleb

Thanks! I can't wait to see the water in it. I hope I didn't make too much land and not enough water. I hope my waterfall doesn't come out crappy!

Also they are dinurial (spelling lol) so they are active all throughout the day and night.

They key to them is enough humidity/moisture (I must the tank 1-2 times daily) and temperatures around 65-75 degrees. They cannot stand temps 80+.

Plenty of ground cover for them to hide under even though mine don't hide much lol.

That's really about it.

Caleb

Do you just feed crickets? What about worms?

Right now it's just crickets. I've heard they like mealworms and roaches as well.

Caleb

I've kept green tree frogs and I found that with feeding mealworms it got messy at times if they go uneaten and crawl away and die. Definitely prefer crickets as they're a lot more active for the amphibian to see and get in the first place. Enjoy watching them feed its quite entertaining.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Epic Fail!![emoji35][emoji35] my foam did not adhere well to back wall and the black "waterproof" caulk did not work!!
Back to the drawing board.......
My waterfall idea didn't come out so well either(but that's how I found leaks!)
So now I'm thinking of incorporating a reptofilter or whisper 10i filter to create the waterfall
Stay tuned! Lol[emoji31]

Very nice! What keeps the brick in place so the water doesn't go around it?

It's just up against the wall. It holds the water back but let's some get past to keep the substrate wet.

Caleb

Back
Top Bottom