peat moss

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

travis74

Aquarium Advice Activist
I would like to add some under my existing gravel. Does it need to be replaced over time? My intent is to soften the water and experiment with its effectiveness.
TIA for input

Someone please correct me, but I believe peat under the substrate doesn't enter the water column and effectively lower KH, but rather breaks down and feeds bacteria (which can be added as mulm) in the substrate to help them break down nutrients and feed the plants. It doesn't need to be replaced with time and rather jumpstarts the substrate. For example, ADA Aquasoil contains peat and its effect lowering KH runs out after a couple months, while remaining an effective substrate. (Many replace Aquasoil with new Aquasoil to kee its magical goodness, however). I have an ex-"natural" tank with peat under Schultz (inert substrate) and its still going well a year later, fwiw, and I have no plans for replacing the peat.

The most effective way to soften and maintain target KH is to mix tap with RO/DI imo. I keep a softwater tank and simply increased the RO/DI percentage as (~7month old) Aquasoil lost its effectiveness. It is not as difficult as it sounds, and RO/DI is only 20cents/gallon around here. Bonus is I know I keep some Ca/Mg/tap traces as well.

Yeah, after looking into it further the peat is less desirable to me for the reasons you stated and that it colors the water through its tannins. RO/DI water could be another way to go. Someone makes a water softner pillow, any experience or opinions on its effectiveness?
Thanks for the response czcz

Again, someone please correct me, but I belive water softener pillows only lower GH by binding Mg+ and Ca+ to Cl-.

A better alternative for the planted tank is KCl -- available as "sodium free water softener" (~$15/40lbs at HD for Diamond Crystal brand) or "No Salt" -- since it doubles as a potassium fertilizer. Good for laundry and stuff too :)

I do not believe either method lowers KH.

Ok so to reduce the KH in the tank leaves me with the option of RO/DI. Thanks for the response and saving me a great deal of hassle.

Back
Top Bottom