Pennywort

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zagz

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have pennywort in several of my tanks. It grows as fast as hornwort I swear. My question is it has little what I wouldn't call flowers exactly but little leafy things floating in the tank. I assume this is normal and healthy for the plant as it is growing like crazy? TIA.

flower.jpg

Those little leafy things look like duckweed. I'd remove it as soon as you see it.

Fluff,

I've seen those types of leaves in my tank as well they just never seem to do anything (they don't die nor grow). I've heard the horrors of duckweed, but would expect the leaves to grow rapidly?

Some fish eat it. I feed it to my koi and goldfish. I had lake malawi cichlids that would pick at it too. Like any plant, it will flourish or not depending on your water conditions. The leaves don't really grow. They are tiny and each plant has about three tiny leaves. My theory is, if your water is pristine, no excess phosphates or nitrates, then it hampers growth or slows it down considerably. I've had it do extremely well in some tanks and not in others. It has the potential though to be problematic, clogging filters and such makes it a nuisance. That and the fact that once you have it, it seems impossible to get rid of. Even one tiny leaf will start a new colony. But, on the other side, it's great cover for fish as well as great nutrient export.

OK I agree it looks like duckweed but it only came around in the last 2-3 weeks and the plant has been in there for 3 months. Can duckweed seed in another plant and take that long? There aren't a ton of them and they don't really multiply much. Indeed if it is duckweed it is out of there! I'm a tad baffled.

You haven't added any other plants to your tank in the last three months? It only tanks one plantlet. Or even a part of one stuck to a leaf unnoticed to stage a takeover. ;)

Well I guess that must be it then. It could have very well hid one leaflet under all that pennywort. Now for the task of removing it. 8O

Back
Top Bottom