Pennyworts help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mouthy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello~
I've recently got a bath of Brazilian Pennyworts. It's been planted in my tank and been going for about 3-4 days but for two stems it is kinda melting away.... I don't get why it seems like this is the only plant that's basically dying. My anubias nana (planted 14in away) is doing great and even growing new leaves! Help please!!

Attachments

• IMG_2551.jpg
    IMG_2551.jpg
    223 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_2552.jpg
    IMG_2552.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_2553.jpg
    IMG_2553.jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 53
I'd trim it back to where u can see the roots sprouting and replant it

Plants are resourceful. If a part of the system isn't working, they reroute their efforts. Wherever a plant drops roots, it's telling you that it is at that point that it needs more water, nutrients, or stability.

The pennywort I put in my tank did the same thing! Just trim the stem portions that are melting off up to the joint above it (just below the roots as Bert2oo1 said). The next section of stem melted on me after I replanted, though. So, I ended up using a weight to hold the stems down until they grew a good mop of roots at the bottom before replanting them and it hasn't melted stems on me again!

The pennywort I put in my tank did the same thing! Just trim the stem portions that are melting off up to the joint above it (just below the roots as Bert2oo1 said). The next section of stem melted on me after I replanted, though. So, I ended up using a weight to hold the stems down until they grew a good mop of roots at the bottom before replanting them and it hasn't melted stems on me again!

That's a great tip - I'll have to remember that as it happens to my stem plants every so often. There will be one or two that just melt to nothing and hate the tank but have never tried that.

Back
Top Bottom