Percentage of plant mass?? And Dosing Help...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

happygirl65

Aquarium Advice Addict
Greetings! Some of you have followed my progress and I like to update now and then.

When I started and was getting my dosing schedule set up, it was suggested that I did not have nearly enough plant mass. Anyone want to hazard a guess at how much mass I have now percentage wise?

It was also sugested that I slow down the water changes and ferts, so I did that. Dosing pretty much once per week.

I have upped it to twice a week now but am wondering if perhaps I need to boost it up to three times or not. I am having green spot algae, and each time I test my nitrates are down in the 5-10 range on my AP test kit. Which has lead to a patch of BGA which I am trying to cure by directing more flow there and it is going away slowly. I am also trying to up my Phosphates to help with the GSA per previous post advice but am unsure how often I should dose it (no test kit yet...sorry :( ) I have also installed a time just today to make sure I get no more than 10 hrs light on the tank.
Also I was dosing excel each time I dosed ferts and am now dosing it every other day.

I am also seeing a small patch of what appreas to be BBA on a rock and on my anubias nana.

I am considering setting up CO2 and would definitely if it would help.

Should I just keep up the 2x a week schedule with 10 hrs of light for a couple weeks and see if it helps? (It was getting about 12-14 hrs up till now)

Dosing schedule
Mon, Thursday
1/2 tsp KNO3
1/8 tsp KH2PO4
1/8 tsp K2SO4

1/8 CSM+B Wed, Sat

55 gal 2x 65w PC with 50/50 bulbs

Each time you change something, it's best to give it at least a couple of weeks to see the affects. If you give it too little time, you're actually still witnessing the effects of the prior conditions rather than any changes you've made. It's also helpful to only make a single change at a time whenever possible, as this makes it easier to pinpoint what actually fixed a problem.

FWIW, I think dosing a third day is the perfect plan considering your algae and amount of fast growers. Adjusting and increasing nutrients one at a time will teach you more in the long run, but its smart to keep the tank healthy and algae free while you do lower tech dosing. Then you can dive in with CO2 and adjusted dosing as your confidence builds.

Nice tank.

Thanks! I have put my lights on a timer for just 10 hrs a day and that should help. Also I divided up my 2x per week doses into a 7 day pill box dividing up equally into daily doses (alternating micro and macro nutrients) so I am hoping that helps. :) I think I will give it a couple of weeks and see and then add the third day per week dosing.

I think part of my problem was consistency with remembering when to dose what while doing it just 1 or 2 x per week. Having it be a part of the daily routine is working much better for me. I am also hoping a small amt daily will give the plants a more consistent flow of nutrients.

I am still seeing constant growth but I think that it will take a while to see the algae go away. Will it just die on its own? Or will it just stop getting worse? Perhaps the BN plecos, ghost shrimp, and snails will finally be able to keep up with it? :)

Back
Top Bottom