Perplexing parameters......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rodeo one

Aquarium Advice Addict
Need some help, guys & gals. Moved everything from a 28g into a 50g three weeks ago & have 0 readings for ammonia, nitrite & nitrate. I used the same HOB filter that was on the 29 & added another HOB with seeded filter pad. Why am I not seeing any nitrate? I ve tested every week & it s been the same readings. All the fish & shrimp are happy & healthy. Confused....

image-798116747.jpg

Pic of the tank. It s due for a weekly WC today, should I wait?

Is it possible that you have a light bioload but such a strong BB colony that they and the plants are using all the nitrates?

Yeah, I would tend to think it is something like that rather than the beginning of a cycle, right?
But, should I do the weekly WC? Common sense tells me I should.....
Wish I could just go get more fish! But no $ or time for that :)

Yes you need to continue WC's as there are many toxins besides the ones we can measure that are in the water.

You have a lot of plants that need root tabs but you still need some ferts in the water. Dry ferts are the cheapest to use in a larger tank.

Wouldn't hurt, because there are other toxins in the water to get rid of. Maybe a smaller one though.

Thanks Rivercats & Scottyhorse. Will commence to do all of the above .

Water Chemistry

Need some help, guys & gals. Moved everything from a 28g into a 50g three weeks ago & have 0 readings for ammonia, nitrite & nitrate. I used the same HOB filter that was on the 29 & added another HOB with seeded filter pad. Why am I not seeing any nitrate? I ve tested every week & it s been the same readings. All the fish & shrimp are happy & healthy. Confused....

Hello Rod...

Your tester may be a bit off, possibly expired. If the fish are active, eating well and have good overall skin color, then I wouldn't fret over the water chemistry. What I would do, is keep the tank water pure. I'd change half the tank water every week. If you can commit to this routine, you won't have to worry about the water chemisty. It will always be safe for the tank inhabitants. Hopefully, you have good tap water, this really makes testing the water much easier. Most times, with an aggressive water change routine, you won't need to test as often, if at all.

B

Yes you need to continue WC's as there are many toxins besides the ones we can measure that are in the water. You have a lot of plants that need root tabs but you still need some ferts in the water. Dry ferts are the cheapest to use in a larger tank.

Ok, did a 40% WC & placed 5 Seachem root tabs. (Also use Excell daily, Flourish & Iron weekly). The root tab package says to add them every 2-3 months . Does that sound right?

Back
Top Bottom