Petsmart plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I thought the plants PetSmart and PetCo have in those tubes are not aquarium plants they are terrarium plants and will die and screw up your aquarium if kept under water.

Some of them can be. You just have to look at what species it is.

I always buy the plants they have growing in a tank in pots by me,they always look good. they come with free snails though

Mine has a good selection, and pretty accurate info assuming you don't trust the employees

Some of them can be. You just have to look at what species it is.

I always buy the plants they have growing in a tank in pots by me,they always look good. they come with free snails though
Yea I learned my lesson a long time ago, and I only buy established potted plants.

If those gel packs look good there's the potential to have a ton of individual stems for $8.

All of this dwarf hairgrass in my 10 gallon is from petsmart.
img_2548600_0_1a1e42556dc802d484de654a4fedf979.jpg

I thought the plants PetSmart and PetCo have in those tubes are not aquarium plants they are terrarium plants and will die and screw up your aquarium if kept under water.

Like stated above, some are land plants. Like everything else, do your homework. Last year I bought some white ribbon plants that were in tubes. They are not fully aquatic. Lasted a few months then slowly rotted away.

I was in PetSmart a few days ago for the first time in months. I noticed the wider selection of packaged plants. Most of them looked very good.
Nothing I was interested in though.

I was in PetSmart a few days ago for the first time in months. I noticed the wider selection of packaged plants. Most of them looked very good.
Nothing I was interested in though.

this is not surprising though. they typically stock beginner plants such as java ferns and amazon swords. although they have cardinal plants and dwarf hairgrass, i bet they don't have the slightest club of how demanding these plants really are.

My local Petsmart has always had those typical beginner type plants like Java Fern, Anubias, etc... They also have always carried Micro Swords, Alternanthera reineckii, and DHG (E. Parvula) for at least a couple of years. But they added 7 new plants in those gel packed containers. I took a picture of the tags that had "New" next to them, each of which are $7.99, and this is what they carry:

• Pogostemon Helferi (AKA: Downoi)
  • Staurogyne Repens (AKA: tropica 049)
  • Cryptocoryne Balansae
  • Cryptocoryne Undulates Red
  • Lebelia Cardinalis
  • Anubias Nana (don't know why this is labeled new as they have sold them in those tubes for quite sometime).

I've also seen in another thread (on SCAPE) regarding these new Petsmart plants that they also carry Cyperus Helferi.

Needless to say, this is a good step in the right direction for the omni-present Petsmart IMO. Although I'd still rather buy from fellow hobbyist or LFS to support. This is still a welcomed addition because what if I wanted other species they don't carry or I can't get shipped due to the 100+ temps here in the AZ summers.

On another note, I stopped by Petsmart today for some fish food and I noticed that they have an Independence Day Weekend Sale going on. There's like 20 species of fish on sale for 80 cents each :eek:! Just a heads up!

this is not surprising though. they typically stock beginner plants such as java ferns and amazon swords. although they have cardinal plants and dwarf hairgrass, i bet they don't have the slightest club of how demanding these plants really are.

LOL. Most of the workers there don't know squat about plants, or their needs!!

My local Petsmart has always had those typical beginner type plants like Java Fern, Anubias, etc... They also have always carried Micro Swords, Alternanthera reineckii, and DHG (E. Parvula) for at least a couple of years. But they added 7 new plants in those gel packed containers. I took a picture of the tags that had "New" next to them, each of which are $7.99, and this is what they carry:

[*]Pogostemon Helferi (AKA: Downoi)
[*]Staurogyne Repens (AKA: tropica 049)
[*]Cryptocoryne Balansae
[*]Cryptocoryne Undulates Red
[*]Lebelia Cardinalis
[*]Anubias Nana (don't know why this is labeled new as they have sold them in those tubes for quite sometime).

I've also seen in another thread (on SCAPE) regarding these new Petsmart plants that they also carry Cyperus Helferi.

Needless to say, this is a good step in the right direction for the omni-present Petsmart IMO. Although I'd still rather buy from fellow hobbyist or LFS to support. This is still a welcomed addition because what if I wanted other species they don't carry or I can't get shipped due to the 100+ temps here in the AZ summers.

On another note, I stopped by Petsmart today for some fish food and I noticed that they have an Independence Day Weekend Sale going on. There's like 20 species of fish on sale for 80 cents each :eek:! Just a heads up!

I got 7 neon tetras for 80 cents, yeah buddy!! They also have 4 fish for $1. I seen in my local store some stunning green tiger barbs, they looked healthy ave very active.

In regards to fish food, petco had new life spectrum for sale when I went in there. I agree that the box box stores seem to be making good changes.

In regards to fish food, petco had new life spectrum for sale when I went in there. I agree that the box box stores seem to be making good changes.

stocking wise, yes. knowledge wise, no. i was still told last week that you need 24hrs to cycle a tank:eek:

Yeah it's hit or miss on whether you encounter a knowledgeable petsmart/petco employee. I've actually had conversations with some that actually knew their stuff and some that I schooled. I take comfort knowing that I did the research prior to heading in the store though.

Yeah it's hit or miss on whether you encounter a knowledgeable petsmart/petco employee. I've actually had conversations with some that actually knew their stuff and some that I schooled. I take comfort knowing that I did the research prior to heading in the store though.

Same here. I've met some who really knew about plants and no, I'm sure it wasn't a sales pitch. We weren't even really talking plants, the subject just turned to it. And well on the other hand, I've showed them how to sex fish.

The new Anubias is Nana petite,smaller than reg barteri Nana. I think they'll likely quit the tissue culture packs eventually, at least at my local ones. The sad fact is 95% of the people who go in there have no idea what those plants are. Heck, most of the employees don't know. And the plants usually wilt away in a few weeks due to inadequate light and co2 (because the packs are sealed). I know in my local stores they throw away more than they sell.

I have bought a number of them and get them prepped under my 6500K lamp, greened up, grown up a bit.

This I mentioned before, but I had this, but changed my project and
60074-albums12153-picture54834.jpg

Ended up having it in the bag, just like it is in the pic, from April 9th to July 3rd or there abouts!!! Under the plant lamp and just turned it over 1-2x per day or sometimes I forgot.

Ended up with it about doubling in width, thickness and height, never watered or opened! lol
60074-albums12694-picture58356.jpg

Just shared it and planted it where it was originally supposed to go, LOLOLOL I was scared to open it up and ruin it, it was growing so well in the bag!

Here are a couple more pics

60074-albums12694-picture58355.jpg

before rinsing
60074-albums12694-picture58354.jpg

Some of it...

60074-albums12694-picture58357.jpg

In my 6.6 Edge, also a few of the Staurogyne Repens (6.6G and 72G)
My fish and snails gobbled up most of the first box!!!:eek:

60074-albums12694-picture58471.jpg

72 G where something thought I put in an expensive gourmet salad bar!!! Rivercats said her Angel fish nibbled hers and to feed them zucchini to distract and satisfy their greens need.
60074-albums12694-picture58358.jpg

Also bought a new box of Pogostemon Helferi, just planted it, half the container anyhow...

Back
Top Bottom