Petsmart plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eAts

Aquarium Advice Activist
Wow they have upped their game. I went in today and they had a great selection of tissue cultures plants. There were 3 types of crypts, and 7 other high light plants, a random sword, baccopa Carolina among others. They all looked great. I have bought some of these before, and have had great success so I picked up some of the crypts in my betta tank. I'd like to hear others opinion on the new selection of plants they are offering.

I've been hearing about that! I hope they step up there game in Alaska too and not just send up all there old stuff that's not selling in the lower 48!! Lol I want some more plants !! Haha

They are a good deal if you can gethem in when they are relatively fresh. After a few weeks they get pretty gross and nasty though.

I've noticed that with the petco plants, those are always rotting mush. All the ones on the shelf today at least looked excellent.

Agreed!...^^ I have tried their dwarf hair grass a few times and no matter what I do it will not grow for me. But the dhg that came from a lfs in my 29 grows like a weed.

I prefer to buy from peabody's paradise or a LFS but I do have several tube plants that have done great for me, I even picked up some pogostemon helferi in the bag at a petsmart two days ago to give it a shot, that being said I also bought an anubias nana that same purchase that when I got home was literally nothing but 4 leaves, the rhizome had completely rotted and decayed so much I couldn't even identify it. Its a hit or miss thing

I have a telanthera cardinallis and some type of wendtii from Petsmarts gel packs. All is well so far but they haven't been in there long so not much growth yet.

Front left.
img_2546424_0_0bd78e8e82d4c7135918316ba1381910.jpg

My experience is hit and miss. Some grow and some don't. But I agree about peabodys paradise, when I get some money to buy more plants they are who ill go to get them.

Hit or miss for me. Java fern, amazon sword,water wisteria,vals,,hornwort and others were/are great. I had to throw out the hornwort because it too over. I didn't take soak the plants and that's how I got my mts. Currently trying to get them to a manageable #.

I've never bought the tube or tissue culture plants but I got an awesome sword from their plant tanks. It was labeled Rangeri Sword.

Echinodorus Rigidifolius is the scientific name. I picked up two plants in one pot for about $5. Easily one of my favorite plants. A very heavy root feeder also.

I'm planning on a trip to pet smart this week to see what other gems they might have and take advantage of the $1 ottos ( hopefully in stock!! )

The petsmart I like had a huge, well cared for plant tank that they kept everything in. Went in one day and they said it was going to be replaced and all plants were priced to move. That was last year and a new tank hasn't been put up yet. Ill be stopping by today, if they are open, and I'm going to bring this up.

The petsmart I like had a huge, well cared for plant tank that they kept everything in. Went in one day and they said it was going to be replaced and all plants were priced to move. That was last year and a new tank hasn't been put up yet. Ill be stopping by today, if they are open, and I'm going to bring this up.

They replaced the tanks with tube plants did the same thing at mine

i got a 9 inch sword about 3-4 months ago and it is already about 14 inches and i was able to split it and now have 2 just look up the plant first because i also bought a peacock fern before researching lol and then read it wasnt fully submersible and it lasted about 2 months before rotting away

Petsmart is the only place in my area that really has plants. My first plants were from them and in a tank, since the "tank" plants have really gone down hill. Always rotting or just that crap that isn't aquatic. But our petsmart recently got those tube/gel plants and I gave it try and mine are doing well! I wish they had more selection but that's what online is for =). I did find that they had nasty mush, but I just look for the best looking ones.

Seen some pogostemon helferi, if it works out $9 for several potential crowns, beats $5 for one..unrooted. Plus it doesn't ship well. Bit of a win/win for plant geeks much like myself.
Grabbed some cyperus today :)

Yeah I just picked up a gel packed p. Helferi the other day. Separated and planted like 50+ potential crowns -- albeit tiny ones. I just hope it transitions well from emersed growth. I know I got it fresh too because I called ahead and asked the manager when their shipment comes :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom