PFS acceptable as planted substrate alone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Abemas

Aquarium Advice Regular
Getting ready to assemble my 29g this weekend and I'm planning on a planted tank with tetras and corys using PFS as a substrate. Can I use straight PFS for planting in or do I need to mix it with something else? Also, how many inches of subtrate is recommended?

What is PFS? Is it pool filter sand?

It depends on what you want to plant and how you plan to fertilize. If this is your first planted tank then I would recommend something else with the sand. Maybe pickup a package of seachem flourite sand. Unfortunately, I haven't seen anything that is white like pool sand, which I think is the look you are going for.

Can you describe your full setup and what plants you want to keep?

Yes to the pool filter sand. I have no specific plants planned at this time as my lighting isn't too hot at the moment and it will be fish only for a bit yet. I will probably do some sort of DIY C02 and get some T5HO as finances allow. I simply want to plan ahead for when I do put in plants and I don't want to find out my substrate is inadequate when the time comes. That help?

I really liked the PFS and I actually liked it better than when I mixed it with Eco complete. I got better results to be honest just using plain old PFS and using root tabs beneath my root feeders (swords and crypts) the plants were thriving and happy. :)
Good luck! and rinse the HECK out of the PFS...it's still dusty no matter how "washed" they claim it is ;)

Maybe read through some peoples planted tank journals and decide for yourself. I was successful in growing my plants in plain old pea gravel. Some people have luck and others don't. If you are going to regret not having a substrate with the nutrients in it already then go ahead and add it in now. You could always fill little pots full of the good planted substrate and bury those underneath the white sand.

An alternative is to change your aquascape idea. Here is a link to a good video seminar that Oliver Knott performed. The pool sand is actually a river path. Please note that there are 4 parts to this series.

Oliver Knott seminar

Wow that Oliver sure knows his stuff! Amazing layout in that tank. You've certianly given me some things think about. Anybody use the ADA substrate?

As a side note what size tank was that?

I have plants in PFS. The drawback is the sand doesn't hold nutrients. You can add root tabs and fertilizers. You can also put down a layer of laterite or other materials before you put down the sand.

I would think it would depend on the PFS. The stuff I used had a larger and more uniform size than most other sands. I feel it has worked out pretty well for me. I mix up the sand every once in a while and I also add KNO3, KH2PO4, K2SO4, Plantex CSM+B and DIY CO2 to the tank.

The only thing I can't seem to get to propagate is the Dwarf Hairgrass but I'm not sure if that's from a lack of light or the sand. See the pic below if your interested

PFS is great for plants. i used mineralized soil under mine but you can spot treat with root tabs just as well. 2-3 inches deep is good for plants. get some malaysian trumpet snails to stir up the substrate and keep it healthy. and rinse it again after you think its rinsed enough :0)

Back
Top Bottom