pH Alk and Plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Treevore

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone

I am going to set up a planted tank (10 gals, with 2x13 watt PCs probably). I have a 10 gal now, but it just has a sword and a plastic plant. I will be adding the PCs, using pea gravel, laterite, and changing the fish. I want to use 6 swords (2 males, 4 females), 2 mollys (male & female) and 3 guppies (1 male, 2 fem; the guppies from my brothers babies that are growing right now). Of course, I know to stock slowly since I started out with the fish store's advice on how much to start with and it all died. I want to put a bio-wheel 130 on it, unless you think the mini will handle those fish (I have the mini now). I want to know your thoughts on this setup, and I want to know how to handle pH. This is mainly going to be a biotype tank, with val and cabomba. What should I do about buffering pH? Would it be a good idea to put a couple pieces of crushed coral in the filter? Any thing I should do? My water is slightly alkaline and fairly high in calcium.

Thanks

hi, i am currently in your situation as well D:
i have a very high ph (~8) with some live plants in a 10g.
my thinking is that the CO2 will help bring the PH down a little, i'm not positive though, hopefully someone else can shed some light on this for us : )

this thing turned my ~ 8 into a smily face. heh
what i ment to say was the ph is around 8 : )

I want to put a bio-wheel 130 on it, unless you think the mini will handle those fish (I have the mini now).

No biowheels on a planted tank, they disturb the water too much, releasing the Co2 that plants need into the air. Plant relativley heavy, and you dont need much filtration.

What should I do about buffering pH? Would it be a good idea to put a couple pieces of crushed coral in the filter? Any thing I should do? My water is slightly alkaline and fairly high in calcium.

No, no no! The coral will RAISE your ph and hardness, you want it down from 8! If anything, you might consider some peat in your filter to lower ph and soften water.

Light and gravel plans sound good, that sholud work fine.

You say biotope, which biotope are you looking to achieve?

Well, I have this book that says it is a central american stream that is feeding into the ocean. That is supposedly where these fish hail from naturally.

Thanks for all the help! If I plant heavily, would it be ok to just take off the biowheel when I put in the first guppies? I could throw some bio media in there.

Back
Top Bottom