PH help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tropicalmackdaddy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Went to petsmart tonight and purchased a aquaclear 30 and a master test kit. I plan on getting everything else sometime later this week and will post pics ect.
But after opening the test kit and testing my tap, it seems I have a PH of about 8.8 or higher, and im abit dampered. Are there fish tht can survive in these conditions? Any advice would be awesome thnks!!!

Attachments

• image-3694681467.jpg
    image-3694681467.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 63
  • image-3181214666.jpg
    image-3181214666.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 67
HI!
Yes it it.
I have a BRITA filter for just filtering drinking water, and I tested tht water and it is below 6.0, but I don't think I'd use tht anyways because it would take forever to filter 5 gallons of that for a water change.

Their are freshwater fish for that ph but what size is your tank? Did you just test that straight out of the faucet or what? What you need to do is run that water into a bucket and run an air hose with bubbles into it and let it sit for 24 hours then re test

Is this tank for saltwater or fresh water? And what type of fish?

Saltwater = Live Rock 1lb per gallon will balance it out to 8.0 - 8.4

IMO

tropicalmackdaddy said:
HI!
Yes it it.
I have a BRITA filter for just filtering drinking water, and I tested tht water and it is below 6.0, but I don't think I'd use tht anyways because it would take forever to filter 5 gallons of that for a water change.

Yeah don't use the filter. It can strip minerals from the water.
Set a container of tap water out over night. Stir it occasionally then test it in the morning. That will be the real pH of your tap water.

hello, I have a normal ten gallon, and I tested straight out of the faucet. I'll try wat u suggested :) hopefully it will go down some after adding plants, driftwood ect.
I also read tht almond leaves lower PH????

CaliO said:
Is this tank for saltwater or fresh water? And what type of fish?

Saltwater = Live Rock 1lb per gallon will balance it out to 8.0 - 8.4

IMO

Nope fresh. Wanted to do reef but so expensive o.0

Well, being as it's in the FRESHWATER section....

Let the water stand out for a day, or better yet test it after 24 hours with a bubbler in it. My parents' tap water goes from off the scale basic to 7.4 after sitting out for a bit.

Mumma.of.two said:
Yeah don't use the filter. It can strip minerals from the water.
Set a container of tap water out over night. Stir it occasionally then test it in the morning. That will be the real pH of your tap water.

Hahah I'll try tht to. Haha we'll see who is right.
My parents had one when I was little and was always adding chemicals to the water, and the fish kept dying. Haha my mom thinks all I'm wasting her time but I'm gonna prove wrong, that I CAN keep fishes alive.

hello, I have a normal ten gallon, and I tested straight out of the faucet. I'll try wat u suggested :) hopefully it will go down some after adding plants, driftwood ect.
I also read tht almond leaves lower PH????

I have never used almond leaves but I have heard they do. The peat in the driftwood is what lowers ph but it takes alot. I think you can also put peat as your substrate for plants that would help but not sure you would need to ask mumma that one. You can also buy peat from sera to run in your filters

Hmm I think I'll let my water sit, test it, and if it's still out of control I will look into something else, such as the peat or a bigger fish filter thingy.
Hopefully 2maro my dad will take me to another fish store, because lamo petsmart didn't have Eco complete or drift wood. -.-

tropicalmackdaddy said:
Hahah I'll try tht to. Haha we'll see who is right.
My parents had one when I was little and was always adding chemicals to the water, and the fish kept dying. Haha my mom thinks all I'm wasting her time but I'm gonna prove wrong, that I CAN keep fishes alive.

I think you'll be surprised by tomorrows result. You shouldn't need to add a thing. Messing with the pH usually ends in disaster.

I think you'll be surprised by tomorrows result. You shouldn't need to add a thing. Messing with the pH usually ends in disaster.

I second that ^^^ But I would add decor [rocks,drift wood, ect] before adding livestock and go from there...

Freshwater
Sorry POO "Power Of Observation"

Back
Top Bottom