PH, KH and CO2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hashbaz

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Adding CO2 lowers the PH. Based on this fact, there are tables made so that if you know your PH and KH the chart will tell you your CO2 levels. How accurate is this method? I'm wondering because peat moss and driftwood will lower the PH of your water. This will give you a higher CO2 reading off the chart, even though you haven't added any CO2.
TIA

I believe that the only way to change the amount of CO2 is to add CO2 a change in pH will not make it any higher. I'm sure someone will know for sure though.

Edit: This was at Chucks planted aquarium pages

Myth: CO2 level can be adjusted simply by adding chemicals to alter the KH or pH.

This is a common misconception when using the CO2 / KH / pH table. It appears that by altering any parameter, the other values should move. But this is not true. Treat the pH value you see as a result. If you alter the KH, then the pH will move. If you alter the CO2 level, then the pH will move. The pH will always react to changes in either of the other two parameters.

Example: My water comes out of the tap with a KH of 3 degrees, and a pH of 7.6, which according to the the indicates a CO2 level of 2.3ppm. Looking at the chart, I might (incorrectly) assume that If I simply raised my KH to 10 degrees, I would end up with the same pH, but the CO2 level would now be 12ppm! How easy! I can add CO2 just by adding some baking soda to raise my KH.

BUT! it doesn't work that way. Instead, as I raise the KH, the pH will rise along with it, and the indicated CO2 level staying at it's 2.3ppm. In my case, if I raised the KH to 10 degrees,

You can not alter the KH levels other than by adding or removing carbonate. You can not alter the CO2 levels other than by adding or removing CO2.

Adding certain "pH altering additives" can cause much confusion as well. Additives like "Proper pH 7.0" which force the pH to a certain value completely invalidate the CO2 / KH / pH relationship. This is because these pH altering additives contain phosphates. Phosphates replace the carbonates in the buffering system. And the CO2 / KH / pH relationship is only valid in a system that is buffered by Carbonates.

There is on case I've seen where the addition of CO2 resulted in an increase in KH. This can happen when you have something in the tank that dissolves carbonate into the water. Seashells, crushed coral, and many gravels and rocks will do this. With the addition of CO2, the water turns more acidic, which will increase the dissolving of the minerals. It appears that increasing CO2 raises the KH, which isn't really the case. The dissolving minerals raise the KH, and the increase in KH results in an increase in pH. In a system using a pH probe and controller to regulate CO2 levels, this can have fatal consequences, since the pH controller will keep trying to lower the pH, but as more CO2 is dissolved, it lowers the pH, which raises the KH, which raises the pH. So you now have more CO2, but the same pH. So the controller adds even MORE co2. And it will keep going. So it's important to know your KH whenever using pH to judge CO2 levels.

To answer the first question: the pH/Kh chart is accurate within 10% So if the chart says you have 20ppm...you might actually have 18-22ppm.

For our purposes, this level of inaccuracy is fine. Fish can tolerate a lot of CO2 before it causes them problems (the pH swings from injecting too much CO2 is another story...my point merely is that an extra 5ppm isn't gonna kill your fish).

I don't think that driftwood's effect on water chemistry will matter. I'm not sure peat will either, since I believe it works by 'absorbing' alkalinity, which in turns lowers your pH...thus Kh and pH are still in their correct relation to each other.

Back
Top Bottom