pH level rising

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Were you referencing just CO2 produced by the fish then? Sorry just trying to learn something new because I didn't see the op say they were injecting CO2 but then there was talk of CO2 off gassing.

OP also did not specify which time of day they were testing pH.
Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I didn't reference anything ☺️.

Because tap water (cold especially) is under pressure and cool it holds more co2. I think some treatment facilities add co2 to reduce the pH after performing tasks that significantly increase it. So if you fill a cup with tap water it takes time for the co2 to 'gass off' thus as the co2 begins to reach atmospheric equilibrium the ph will rise (co2 dissolved in water forms carbonic acid H2CO3 and removal of this acid raises the pH)

Hope this helps.

And wouldn't adding excel cause plants to absorb the carbon and then off gas it after the photoperiod? There for that would have to have an effect on the ph?

Not sure on this but it's a thought

30g planted, 90g Oscar tank

And wouldn't adding excel cause plants to absorb the carbon and then off gas it after the photoperiod? There for that would have to have an effect on the ph?

Not sure on this but it's a thought

If that's how liquid carbon works it may increase how fast it is used up but the principles behind liquid co2 are still purely speculative at this stage.

I didn't reference anything ☺️.

Because tap water (cold especially) is under pressure and cool it holds more co2. I think some treatment facilities add co2 to reduce the pH after performing tasks that significantly increase it. So if you fill a cup with tap water it takes time for the co2 to 'gass off' thus as the co2 begins to reach atmospheric equilibrium the ph will rise (co2 dissolved in water forms carbonic acid H2CO3 and removal of this acid raises the pH)

Hope this helps.

Huh, interesting. In my experience, tap water comes out of the sink at a very high pH (9+) and lowers after letting it sit overnight. I've never heard of it containing CO2 before. Maybe depends on the municipality?

Huh, interesting. In my experience, tap water comes out of the sink at a very high pH (9+) and lowers after letting it sit overnight. I've never heard of it containing CO2 before. Maybe depends on the municipality?

Well it just holds more co2 because of Henrys law https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry's_law

Tap water does vary in co2 depending on the municipality.

See here post numbers 10&12

http://www.barrreport.com/forum/bar...717-co2-after-water-changes-and-an-experiment

Edit: perhaps as you may have low co2 in tap water, it is entering the water from the atmosphere to achieve equilibrium and lowering the ph.

Last edited:
I must say this topic has had a lot of interesting info on it. Some really good reading here but I don't think we have found an answer yet ;)

I must say this topic has had a lot of interesting info on it. Some really good reading here but I don't think we have found an answer yet ;)

We are still kind of on topic ☺️I think what Gemach alluded to earlier regarding 'off gassing' of co2 is most likely.

Back
Top Bottom