Phosphate test kit dark blue...range higher than max on kit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MyCatsDrool

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My Phosphates are definately > 10ppm.

Is this good or bad in the planted tank? Where should they be?

Other than h2o change, how can i bring it down?

That's rather high. Shouldn't be hurting anything unless you're seeing signs of Toxicity. Water changes or getting your plants to consume it are really the only ways to lower it.

Should I try something like PhosBan in a filter? Could this be the reason for my outrageous diatoms?

No real reason to worry about it lowering it unless you start to see signs of toxicity. It would be a good idea to make sure that none of your other nutrients have bottomed out causing the Phosphates to climb.

Diatoms are a result of Silicates not Phosphates.

To get an accurate reading, you could use 1/2 tank water with 1/2 distilled water in your test tube. Multiply the result by 2. I have used only 1/4 tank water and 3/4 distilled water (multiply result by 4) to get a color that was in range of the test kit.

To lower the phosphates, follow Purrbox's advice. If you use tank water plus distilled water, you will at least have a more accurate reading of your phosphate levels. The kit I have (Seachem) doesn't have a very wide range, but if everything is as it should be, I don't need to make a diluted sample from the tank.

Well, as far a lowering them. Water changes of course. I have used phoszorb with success. But it is a temporary fix.

Sources would be ferts such a KH2PS04, Flake foods, and tap water.

I wouldn't really worry about it over the short term unless you are experiencing some sort of problem. I would look for the source, eliminate it and then wait for the plants to clean it up.

Mycatsdrool,
I have the exact same problem! Dark blue! Test kit is from aquarium pharmacueticals--It tests my tap water at .25 so I believe the test kit works!
Now to lower the tank reading-ugh!
Cliff NY

I am going to stop dosing KH2PSO4 for now. Hold back on the feedings a little, and see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom