Pink light ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shane l

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey today I went to the pet store for a white bulb for my 17 g and when I got home it was pink ! Before I return it on Saturday I was wondering if it's good for plant growth and fish ?

Could you see what the Kelvin rating on the bulb is? I don't have a lot of experience with pink lights so will have to do some research.

Like I said in your other thread....

6500k is more of a yellow color (full spectrum/daylight). 10000k is more of a blue color. Yours is at the other end of the spectrum with mostly reds. 6500-10000k is the range you want to be in for live plants.

It is... reds penetrate the water better than blues. Some folks say reds promote taller and more elongated leaves/plants than yellow/blue lights.

It is... reds penetrate the water better than blues. Some folks say reds promote taller and more elongated leaves/plants than yellow/blue lights.

I think you might have that backwards. Higher energy blue lights penetrate further than reds, hence why reefers use actinic lights.

If you can look up the brand of the bulb, you might be able to find a spectrum graph. I'm pretty sure that you will find that there are emission peaks in both the blue and green portions of the spectrum, which should help to balance out spectrum issues. Remember that color temperatures are reflective of we see with out eyes and not necessarily indicative of what plants experience.

Back
Top Bottom