PITA moss!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

justDIY

Aquarium Advice Addict
alright

at first I was happy to get ahold of some java moss, after reading about it being a good plant for purifing water and easy to grow.

So I planted it in my 30 gallon, along with a lot of other plants.

Sooner than I knew it, the moss had spread everywhere, clogging filters and worse, clogging my ricca.

I've removed a lot of it by hand, but I'm sure all it takes is one little strand to grow back an army.

I transfered a large glob of it (on a rock) into my un-lite (3 sides and the top of the tank are wrapped in aluminum to keep out light) nursery tank, where it appears to be growing unphased by the lack of light.

i tried separating it from ricca with tweezers, but that was too trying for my patience, so... now I'm wondering what to do.

I've got a small amount of uncorrupted ricca growing in another tank, hopefully it will continue and I can use some to re-seed the 30 gallon, but I'd like to get rid of the moss first.

any thoughts on ridding it once and for all?

any thoughts on ridding it once and for all?

I wish!

Hope I wasn't the culprit in getting it to you in the first place!

I just pluck the stuff every time it gets bad, but it sure sounds like you have it worse than me.

Inso far as corrupted riccia, I believe if you have a bucket to spare, take your riccia rock or wood and untie it. Get rid of the parts that are majorly corrupted, just chuck it. Then put the "mostly riccia" in a bucket. the riccia should float, and i think the moss will sink. give it a couple days and see if it separates enough to salvage a decent amount of riccia.

I do seem to remember finding the moss in a clump in the bottom of a bucket, while the rest of the plants were floating at the top

I will try your suggestion see what happens

it is now too cold to keep plants outdoors in buckets (goes into the low 40's at night), so I'll have to find some indoor storage for the bucket that still gets decent light.

corvuscorax said:
Hope I wasn't the culprit in getting it to you in the first place!

well, it might have snuck in with that package, but it's my fault for planting it, as it came it was just a tiny harmless looking glob in the bucket, not a monster that it is now!

I know you even warned me about how bad it was!

wow, im hving the opposite problem. I have noticed very little growth in my java moss and it has been in the tank for over a month! The other plants i have in the tank now are doing great though.

Sell parts of your monster on e-bay for like $7 a clump, lol!

Back
Top Bottom