Plant Choices

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rhino

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have just got my 40 gallon breeder tank put together. It has a fluval 305 canister filter, a Current USA T5 HO freshwater fixture with 2x39 watt bulbs, with one 10,000k bulb, and one flora bulb. I have pfs for my substrate (don't know that it matters). My local lfs has like 3 kinds of plants and I am headed out of town tomorrow for the afternoon and I am thinking I will hit up an lfs at the town I am going to. What are some suggestions from everyone as to what plants I should get?? I need some advice as to what would work with my substrate and my lights so I can get some while I am gone. Please help.

If you bury some root tabs, that will help your root feeders.

I have to say I vote for Crypts :) I have several now and love them !

You can try some stem plants so you can see something grow fast. I have Ludwigia Repens and it's very nice.

Swords are cool and you can sell it if it gets too large. Some stay smaller. I have Dwarf Chain Swords. They took off once I added root tabs.

40 Breeders are shallow tanks. A T5HO on it will give you pretty high light in areas, which might necessitate CO2. May or may not be able to get by with DIY CO2/Excel.

I'm not a big fan of crpyts because they're so slow >.< But they are nice looking plants and are relatively undemanding. You're probably going to want a few stem plants to head off the algae.

What kind of plants do you want? You really haven't given us much to go on.

Your 40 G Breeder Tank Lighting

Hello Rhino...

Your lighting could use tweaking. To me, the 10,000 K would be the wrong light spectrum for the plants. I use 6500 Ks in my 55 Gs. The light blue color is recommended for planted tanks, because it comes closest to natural daylight at 5500 K.

Just an observation.

B

Hello Rhino...

Your lighting could use tweaking. To me, the 10,000 K would be the wrong light spectrum for the plants. I use 6500 Ks in my 55 Gs. The light blue color is recommended for planted tanks, because it comes closest to natural daylight at 5500 K.

Just an observation.

B

well crap. time to buy a bulb i guess. thanks for the advice

What kind of plants do you want? You really haven't given us much to go on.

No clue I really don't know much about plants. My wife is the one who did not want me to do fake plants again. So that is what I am looking for from this threat is which ones are good with my setup. I have no clue what I am doing with plants, I really don't have any interest in dealing with c02.

Hello Rhino...

Just an observation.

B

I would disagree with. Many, many people use 10000K bulbs in planted tanks.

Tank Lighting

well crap. time to buy a bulb i guess. thanks for the advice

Good morning R...

The change won't cost much. GE has an aquarium plant bulb that's available at most of the chain hardware stores. A 48 inch 6500 K, T8 is about $12.00. They last about 10 months before you need to replace them. I have T8s (32 watts) in my tall 55 Gs and a T12 (40 watts) in the wider tanks.

B

Back
Top Bottom