Plant choices...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lonewolfblue

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was looking at an assorted package, and kind of like what it consists of. For the 75G, here's the list. Give me your thoughts on these plants....

2 Red Rubin
3 Ruffled Swords
15 Subulata
3 Hornwort
8 Crypt Petchii
3 Anubias Congensis
6 Nymphea
6 Crypt spiralis
3 Java Moss - Which I don't need, have my own.
3 Wisteria
3 Aponogeton Crispus
5 Rotala

Will also add 3 Amazon Swords as extra, as well as some clover for the foreground.

Let me know some of the pros/cons on this plant assortment. Would like to order this weekend so I can take shipment next week.

Those will do nicely in a 75G - for a while. The Red Rubin can get quite large but should be comfortable in a 75G, although it will take up considerable space. Nymphea lotus can also put out considerable foliage which may overshadow plants near them, so plant accordingly. And Aponogetons can become absolute monsters over time. I've rarely seen any plants that can put out new growth at such a prodigious pace - except for Wisteria, which can quickly fill even a large tank if left untended. You've got a good selection of plants to fill your 75G but they will require some work to keep them from getting out of control. It should be great fun :)

Cool, thanks for the input. Will be ordering the plants tomorrow. Is there another plant that's easy to maintain and has more red in it? Would like to get a little more red in the picture as well.

There aren't a lot of short red plants that come to mind. C. wendtii "Red" or C. undulatus "Red" are two. My favorite red plant is Ludwigia glandulosa but it's more of a mid- or background plant. It has a beautiful wine coloration in good light. Ludwigia repens is also a good choice for red, but again, it's more of a mid- to background type of plant. Rotala rotundifolia can get a nice orange or red coloration to its tips under good light and generally stay about midground height. And of course, R. macrandra can get extremely red but can also grow fairly tall. Choices, choices . . . :)

I might try the Ludwigia repens. Could do it in front of the background plants along the side of the large driftwood. That will give it a little color. :)

Since some of the plants get big, and there's multiple plants in the package, I might use some of the plants in my 26G as well. I can do 2 hornworts in the 75G and put the 3rd one in my 26G. As well as a couple others. Then I can get rid of some of the plastic. And since I don't have CO2 for it, will stick to the Excel.

Back to the old drawing board. I went to order the plant pack and they are sold out. Don't have any plant packs. So I'm going to get creative now and design my own pack and order from another source. :)

My new list....

This may seem like a lot, but this will give me something to play with, and add some to my 26G as well as my 55G. So it's not all for my 75G.

6 Banana Plants
1 Set of Marimo Balls (For my 55G only)
1 Red Tiger Lotus
1 Anubias nana "veriegated" (white marbled)
10 Ludwigia, Narrowleaf (repens)
2 Red Foxtails
2 Ludwigia, Peruensis (glandulosa)
1 clump Dwarf and Regular 4-leaf clover
2 Creeping Mint
2 Hairgrass Clumps
2 2"x2" Micro Sword Grass
4 Hornwort
1 Water Sprite
8 Corkscrew Vals
8 Jungle Vals
8 Contortion Vals
5 Med. Amazon Swords
2 Large Red Rubin Swords
2 Anacharis (55G only)
4 Cabomba
2 Med. Ruffle Swords
7 Potted tenellus Chain Swords

The order also comes with some fertalizer included.

Let me know what you think. Once I get it, I can play with it and figure out what to place in the 26G and 55G as well. 55G has to be low light though, as I don't have a good fixture on it yet. But looking at getting a 130W CF for it.

Back
Top Bottom