Plant Eating Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigbanker

Aquarium Advice Addict
Alrighty ... Some of the leaves of my amazon swords are starting to take a hit. That is where it is most noticeable. It looks as though something is eating away at the leaves. It is only about two leaves, one per plant.

My stocking is............
1 x Juvie Angel
2 x Adult three spot gouramis
2 x Mystery snails
3 x Lamp Eye tetras
3 x Red-line Sharks
3 x Otos
3 x Aussie Rainbows
7 x Cherry Barbs
9 x Colombian Tetras
15 x neon tetras

Nom nom.... So who is the culprit?

It's prob your angel mine eat all the brown dead parts off the sword plants to and leave the green it looks cool now the couple of leaves that had some decay look all perforated now I like it so I kept the leaves they chewed on on the plant

Rainbowfish are known to nom on some plants, especially when not well fed (not that it is any fault of your own).

Your wish is my command......

Attachments

• Nana 026.JPG
    Nana 026.JPG
    166.8 KB · Views: 95
  • Nana 029.JPG
    Nana 029.JPG
    166.4 KB · Views: 97
  • Nana 030.JPG
    Nana 030.JPG
    170.4 KB · Views: 88
It's prob your angel mine eat all the brown dead parts off the sword plants to and leave the green it looks cool now the couple of leaves that had some decay look all perforated now I like it so I kept the leaves they chewed on on the plant

My first thought was the angel as well!!! He is about two inches fin to fin so still uber tiny. My only thought is that because the plant is healthy and thriving, who wants to eat that?

Rainbowfish are known to nom on some plants, especially when not well fed (not that it is any fault of your own).

This is indeed very possible too!!!! I have largely scaled back feedings because I don't feel like doing water changes.

Yeah that's true my Angels will only eat the little parts that died and turned brown they never eat the healthy green parts so I'm leaning towards the rainbow I've never had them before though

Did a bit more research and it seems like the rainbows are indeed the guilty parties! That would also explain my the growth on some of my stem plants seems to have slowed down. What I shall be doing is adding blanched zucchini... Hopefully that will give them something to much on. I will keep everyone updated.

(Does anyone think it could be a nutrient deficiency?)

I've had really good success with flourish excel my plants always did fine but never grew real fast now I add 2 caps whenever I do water changes for my 55 gal tank and the plants growth rate just exploded.

I too dose excel when I remember ;)

I have contemplated the use of dry ferts but not sure if I should get started with that while starting on my 55g FOWLR... Maybe too many projects at once.

As far as removing the rainbows, I probably won't since these plants are massive and the damage is pretty much contained to a total of three leafs. We shall see how they do with their feeding schedule back to normal.... which works out because I was doing a water change when I discovered the "damage".

I wouldn't rule out the tetras or angel until you actually see a guilty party munching on a leaf. I've had lots of trouble with tetras snacking on plants before.

Honestly I just let my angels eat the darn plant I don't care if that's what they want have at it for all I care lol.

My Angels have decided that my plants are the most delicious things in the world apparently and every time I look at my tank they are pulling off healthy leaves from the crypts and Rotala. I'm not very happy with either of them lol

Me thinks that it may be the angelfish........ but it is driving me crazy because I never actually see anyone do it!

But here is the reason why.... The rainbows and tetras have been in the tank for almost a year. Even when it was less planted than this. Just recently, about three weeks ago, I added the angel from one of my other tanks. I noticed the damage while doing another water change. I've got another angel (larger) in a semi planted tank but don't see any plant damage there.

I have 10 angels in a heavily planted 220g. I finally had to remove my dwarf baby tears because they munched on it (not too bad) but mostly due to the yo-yo loaches digging under the edges so it wouldn't stay down. Since I did that I have noticed some of the very tips of the Rotala Wallichii are being munched on (I've seen the angels doing it). The damage is very little so I'm not worried. What I've been doing is adding just a few deshelled smashed peas with their normal feeding daily. Am trying to see if I add alittle daily fresh 'greens' if it will cut down on their urge to plant nibble. I've found that the tetras (rummy nose and diamond), rams, loaches, corys, and angels all eat the peas. Too soon to tell if this is going to help but figure it isn't going to hurt!

Rivercats said:
I have 10 angels in a heavily planted 220g. I finally had to remove my dwarf baby tears because they munched on it (not too bad) but mostly due to the yo-yo loaches digging under the edges so it wouldn't stay down. Since I did that I have noticed some of the very tips of the Rotala Wallichii are being munched on (I've seen the angels doing it). The damage is very little so I'm not worried. What I've been doing is adding just a few deshelled smashed peas with their normal feeding daily. Am trying to see if I add alittle daily fresh 'greens' if it will cut down on their urge to plant nibble. I've found that the tetras (rummy nose and diamond), rams, loaches, corys, and angels all eat the peas. Too soon to tell if this is going to help but figure it isn't going to hurt!

Thank you so much for sharing this with me!! Have you thought of weighting the plants with stones? How old are they? Let me know how the greens go.

I ended up netting L.A., the angel fish, and putting him back in the semi planted 30.

He is so small but I'm convinced he is the one who ate the plants. We will see how everything goes.

I haven't seen my angels eat on my plants. but Mystery/Apple snails do.

Back
Top Bottom