Plant ferts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shadowstars123

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have one anubias, two amazon swords, and a bunched wisteria. Do I need to dose with any ferts? I have Flourish right now, but am not using it. Running one 10000k and one actinic for aesthetics.

There probably is little to no need for liquid ferts. If you are going to dose something, a K/Micro mix like API leaf zone would be beneficial. Flourish comprehensive wouldn't hurt either (either the flourish comp or leaf zone, not both)... but neither are required for your plant and light combo.

I would however recommend root tabs to go underneath the swords.

There probably is little to no need for liquid ferts. If you are going to dose something, a K/Micro mix like API leaf zone would be beneficial. Flourish comprehensive wouldn't hurt either (either the flourish comp or leaf zone, not both)... but neither are required for your plant and light combo.

I would however recommend root tabs to go underneath the swords.

Well i'm going to add more plants soon. Another anubias, probably another sword, and some dwarf hairgrass. Would it make any difference? Also do you have any suggestions for new plants?

Just some tabs for your swords and you should be ok. The DHG might not grow quickly but it will survive.

Adding more plants won't make much difference. I would not recommend dwarf hairgrass with less than 1 WPG on your tank. The others would be fine. Just remember, swords get huge... so you don't want to get too many more.

You want to stick with low light plants. There are lots of crypts that would work well with your light... and a few different varieties of anubias. If you are wanting a compact plant for the foreground that would work with your lighting, check out anubias nana petite in lieu of the dwarf hairgrass. It is not the same look, but it is a neat little plant that will survive under low light.

Adding more plants won't make much difference. I would not recommend dwarf hairgrass with less than 1 WPG on your tank. The others would be fine. Just remember, swords get huge... so you don't want to get too many more.

You want to stick with low light plants. There are lots of crypts that would work well with your light... and a few different varieties of anubias. If you are wanting a compact plant for the foreground that would work with your lighting, check out anubias nana petite in lieu of the dwarf hairgrass. It is not the same look, but it is a neat little plant that will survive under low light.

Well, I can add another 54w t5-ho, will that affect the need for ferts/co2? And with that can I grow dwarf hairgrass? Any other suggestions if the extra bulb is acceptable?

You would have a lot more success with the DHG if you added the 2d bulb. It would be borderline on whether or not you need CO2, but I think you could get away without it. There would be an increase in the amount and types of fertilizers your tank would benefit from if you doubled the light. YOu would probably want to still dose a K (potassium) solution, and also a micro/trace mix of some kind. In addition you would want to look into an N supplement and also a glutaraldehyde formula (like flourish excel) for a source of C.

For plants, you would be able to grow anything in the medium light range or below. Check out PlantGeek.net - Your Aquatic Plant Resource . The plant guide there allows you to sort the plants by lighting requirements. It will give you some ideas of what you might want to have.

You would have a lot more success with the DHG if you added the 2d bulb. It would be borderline on whether or not you need CO2, but I think you could get away without it. There would be an increase in the amount and types of fertilizers your tank would benefit from if you doubled the light. YOu would probably want to still dose a K (potassium) solution, and also a micro/trace mix of some kind. In addition you would want to look into an N supplement and also a glutaraldehyde formula (like flourish excel) for a source of C.

For plants, you would be able to grow anything in the medium light range or below. Check out PlantGeek.net - Your Aquatic Plant Resource . The plant guide there allows you to sort the plants by lighting requirements. It will give you some ideas of what you might want to have.

How much would an entire co2 system cost? I'm thinking of changing my light setup to 3 54w and 1 actinic.// Would flourish comprehensive be fine for the nitrogen, trace, and i'll just fine some potassium to dose? And by adding a second bulb i meant adding with the actinic and original bulb, or would it push me into the co2 injection?

My tank btw. Going to add a piece of driftwood to it sometime.
img_1353824_0_788d55975bf40e06030e66e5692839f9.jpg

shadowstars123

So is 2 bulbs of 54w and one actinic fine for a non-co2 injected tank? And is flourish comprehensive and potassium fine for ferts?

Back
Top Bottom