plant ferts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I got a free half oz. bottle with my Hagen/Nutrafin CO2 system, years ago. As I recall, it was pretty weak and not terribly amazing. However it would be sufficient for a low light tank...something to keep java ferns happy for sure.

On a high light tank it just wouldn't be cost-effective.

I have a low light tank- 1.5 wpg with a few swords and a couple of other easy to keep plants from the pets unlimited where i work. Nothing serious.

I'd probably put root tabs under the swords to keep em happy.
Keep an eye on things, and watch for algae blooms or signs of unhealthly plant growth, which means 'nutrient deficiency'...or not enough light.

I just started fertilizing this evening. When i got home this afternoon, i have what looks like the start of a bloom of brown algae. My tank is only a couple of weeks old, would this be from lack of nutrients, too much c02, or not enough co2?

If it brushes off easily, it's diatoms and normal in a new tank and will go away on its own soon. If it's hard to brush off, it's likely BBA. Low CO2, low Nitrates, and low Phosphates are common causes.

Brown Algae are easy to take off.You can rub it off with your fingers or you an algae scrubber.Another more interesting solution is you can get some Oto catfish which will clear out the algae in a matter of days and keep it under control.But after that you will have to supplement their diet with veggies.

the problem started going away on its own after a few days, i threw in a couple of 3 inch plecos, and they took care of the rest of it, tank looks great now.

Back
Top Bottom