Plant Food While Tank Is Cycling?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BarleyBear

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all,

I have a question about adding liquid plant food while my tank is still cycling. Will the nutrients and chemicals from the plant food hinder or harm the cycling process? I think my plants need a bit of a boost, but I don't want to do anything that will halt or prolong the cycle process.

Thanks for your help!

You usually shouldn't have a problem. :) I'm cycling a tank right now and feed 'em some fertilizers when I have to, and never see any problems. If you want to help the cycling process AND the bacteria at once, drop a little fish food in there. As it decomposes, it'll release ammonia, but the plants will suck up nutrients from the resulting detritus.

Hi all,

I have a question about adding liquid plant food while my tank is still cycling. Will the nutrients and chemicals from the plant food hinder or harm the cycling process? I think my plants need a bit of a boost, but I don't want to do anything that will halt or prolong the cycle process.

Thanks for your help!
Are you fishless cycling or fish-in cycling? The ferts won't hurt anything, they may actually help the process if you are fishless cycling because there is a great nutrient demand when the process really starts going.

Thanks for the info guys. I'm cycling with fish in. It's been a decade or so since I've had a tank, and I totally forgot about the cycling time. I would have gone fishless if I'd remembered.

BarleyBear said:
Thanks for the info guys. I'm cycling with fish in. It's been a decade or so since I've had a tank, and I totally forgot about the cycling time. I would have gone fishless if I'd remembered.

Tested the water tonight. Ammonia and nitrites are at zero! Woo-hoo! Took less than two weeks. I used Nutrafin Cycle, which I think helped cut the time down. I also added some potting material from an order of plants I received to my filter hoping it contained some bb to sees the tank.

Back
Top Bottom