Plant gravel for 55g standard tank - how much?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i just did my 55 and i used 2 bags of 22 pound black sand and it gave me about a 2 inch base. but gravel wil fill out more area and u want it deeper for plants so i would say 4 bags should be good. that would be 60 pounds and probably give u a base of about 4 inches or so. i dont like deep beds of sand so i am not the person to be answering this lol.

Jchillin said:
Believe it or not, Bigals is having a sale on Eco-complete. It's cheaper per pound and is a better plant substrate.

http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=20557&category_id=3145&pcid1=3349

Three bags would do well. Shipping price will be the same as the flourite as well.

Yeah, but that a heavy shipping item, the other bag isn't. Since shipping is free right now for normal shipping items, you are talking about the difference between free and pretty expensive for shipping, which makes the other bags a lot cheaper. You agree with four?

Those bags of sand are worthless. For people who dont know how to use them, it will create the perfect home to algea. Get smaller gravel and add Fertilzer tabs yourself. For a 55 gallon, 150 lbs of gravel would be normal.

Jchillin said:
Believe it or not, Bigals is having a sale on Eco-complete. It's cheaper per pound and is a better plant substrate.

http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=20557&category_id=3145&pcid1=3349

Three bags would do well. Shipping price will be the same as the flourite as well.

3 bags for a 55G? Or is that mixing with regular gravel? I got 5 bags for my 75G, which I still haven't put in the tank because I'm getting 5 more bags tomorrow. 5 bags doesn't look near enough for my 75G, or even for my 55G is I was doing it. And yes, I do agree, Eco Complete is much better for planted tanks. And I was willing to pay the extra for my 75G.

I really cant fathom how severla 15 lb bags of rock wont be classified as a heavy item vs one less 20lb bag. Either way its going to be the same lb of rock. 5 bags of eco-complete or 6 bags of the other stuff. Still almost the same weight overall.

I know the Eco has heavy item listed but I bet Big als would try to fight you on free shipping for the other rock. YOu can always call and see what the extra shipping would cost you. Expecially if the eco is that much better for the plants.

I did see on another thread that your now selling the 55. Has this topic now lived its life or will you be putting this substrate in another tank now?

fishfreek said:
I did see on another thread that your now selling the 55. Has this topic now lived its life or will you be putting this substrate in another tank now?

Yeah, its lived its life for me, the whole process of retrofitting my 55g to planted is such a hassle and so expensive I would rather just get a new tank designed for plants.

Tony Starks said:
Jchillin said:

Yeah, but that a heavy shipping item, the other bag isn't. Since shipping is free right now for normal shipping items, you are talking about the difference between free and pretty expensive for shipping, which makes the other bags a lot cheaper. You agree with four?

I do believe the reason the Eco Complete is heavy shipping, is because it is shipped in Amazon blackwater, or something like that. It's not just gravel, it's packed in liquid.

Back
Top Bottom