Plant has white spots?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dgameman1

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 20 gallon freshwater tank.
My tank has only been up for about a week now But I'm starting to see this white spot on only one of the plant leaves.

The plant is an Anubias

RDdTOAn.jpg

I have a 20 gallon freshwater tank.
My tank has only been up for about a week now But I'm starting to see this white spot on only one of the plant leaves.

The plant is an Anubias

RDdTOAn.jpg

I have never seen that before but if you bury the rhizome with Anubias it will begin to rot and the leaves will too. Rip up the plant and see if there is a part/s of the root sytem that looks greener than anything else. If that is buried now replant with the green piece above the substrate. As i said i don't know Anubias leaf rot starts showing up but this might be what is happening. Someone with more experience with Anubias might confirm or rule this out for me but my guess is a buried rhizome.

First off it appears you have the rhizome of the anubia planted in the substrate. You need to pull it up (the rhizome) and only have the "white" roots planted. If you leave the rhizome in the substrate it will rot. Better yet would be to tie it to a rock or piece of driftwood.

What is your nitrate level? Are you using any ferts?

This is a double thread that is in another forum which can cause confusion so only post one thread in one forum. You have been given advice in your other thread.

Don't bury the roots with anubias! You're supposed to tie it to a rock or piece of wood.

Keep those leaves clean or it won't be able to photosynthesize. Rub them clean every couple of days very gently.

First off it appears you have the rhizome of the anubia planted in the substrate. You need to pull it up (the rhizome) and only have the "white" roots planted. If you leave the rhizome in the substrate it will rot. Better yet would be to tie it to a rock or piece of driftwood.

What is your nitrate level? Are you using any ferts?

This is going to sound really really stupid but I'm a little confused as to what you are telling me to do, I should only have the white colored roots planteD?

I have never seen that before but if you bury the rhizome with Anubias it will begin to rot and the leaves will too. Rip up the plant and see if there is a part/s of the root sytem that looks greener than anything else. If that is buried now replant with the green piece above the substrate. As i said i don't know Anubias leaf rot starts showing up but this might be what is happening. Someone with more experience with Anubias might confirm or rule this out for me but my guess is a buried rhizome.

OH, yeah, it was buried, that thick green part. I put it above the substrate and now only the white roots are in there.

The rhizome is the horizontal growth piece that looks like a pencil and has roots growing off the bottom of it and leaves growing off the top of it. You do not want the rhizome under the substrate so just gently and slowly pull up on the plant until the rhizome is above the substrate and only the white roots are actually in the substrate.

Don't bury the roots with anubias! You're supposed to tie it to a rock or piece of wood.
Actually it is fine to have anubia roots in the substrate. If their roots are close enough to the substrate when tied onto something that is low in the tank their roots will actually grow down and into the substrate on their own. I have several Anubia Nana Petite on low rocks and all have rooted themselves down into the substrate.

Back
Top Bottom