Plant help!! A lighting problem maybe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jtd1216

Aquarium Advice Regular
My tank has been doing well, except for one thing. After trimming my anacharis, the new growth seems to have small leaves and it isn't thick. After a little research, it seems i should have a lighting problem. But I have 28w of T5 lighting, which comes out to more than 2wpg (because it's t5 i was told)

Some info about my tank:
20g high
DIY Jell-o CO2
2.75" Eco-Complete substrate
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 1
Ph - 7.2
GH/KH - 5
I dose Kent Freshwater plant (K/Fe included) and Kent Pro-Plant (N/Mg included) twice weekly.

You can see in the pic at the tops where they're growth seem sparse

If it does have to do with less lighting, i saw a Coralife fixture here It has two 65 bulbs??? doesn't that seem a bit much???

img_598334_0_f5edf29f45d137c2588809dee544de89.jpg

Sorry for such a long post, but i need some help :)

They should fill in. They look nice and green. Your nitrate is awfully low. I think adding a little N might help.

The Kent Freshwater Plant contains N, should I look into adding it separate (like KNO3?)

Also, any info on the lighting?

That is plenty of lighting for the anacharis. I would go for a single 65w fixture if you upgrade. 130 watts over 20 gallons will be crazy to keep up with. The low N number is just asking for algae I would add some if I were you.

I also have an amazon sword, green wendtii, some hygro plant, moneywort, and cabomba. Do you still think that is good lighting (what i have)

It should be enough for those as well. Changing to a 65w would not hurt but you will have to add ferts etc. everyday. The cabomba will go nuts under higher lighting and your sword will take over the tank. As long as you are willing to do the work, I would go for it. I love my high lighting.

it may be the relative softness of your water. I have very soft water (kh3) and my anacharis grew in thinner leaved.. which I happen to think is a prettier version of the plant.

Back
Top Bottom