Plant help pwease!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Irish.OG87

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok I have a 36g bowfront, witha 8000k full spectrum daylight 17W 120v T8 24" light....need to know what plants would work best with this light, fyi im a newb.

unfortunately even low light plants may have a hard time growing with that little of light. you should really have closer to 1wpg to grow things like crypts and anubias. it's possible java fern could do OK in your set-up, but 17w is really pushing it. if you could get a second fixture, low light plants would do great (crypts, anubias, java fern, anacharis)

that is a very loaded question :)

read these articles:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f24/a-beginners-guide-to-lighting-53375.html

So You Want a Planted Aquarium

Planted tank basics

that will give you an idea about the planted tank basics.

then look here: PlantGeek.net - Plant Guide browse through the plants (they are organized in several different ways--light requirements, difficulty, etc) and figure out what plants, or type of plants you want to keep. then let us know what kind of time/money you want to invest, then we can give you some suggestions on what lighting/equipment/plants will work best for you.

Pigeonfood, is this the Aqueon kit ?
I have the same setup and as mommytron said, the light is a bummer.

Problem with light upgrade is finding a glass top that fits the bowfront... without costing an arm and leg.. actually both arms and legs if you have it shipped lol.

So far java moss at 10 days is fine and growing (about a half inch growth).
Hornwort, floating at the surface, is at least still alive but only had it 3 days.

The plants suggested by mommytron are your best bet, just see what works, and go from there.

so the aqueon kit hood and light are useless for live plants? Did u find one tat worked for ur plants J2112J?

Just about useless, yes.
If you want plants, and find you have to save up for an upgrade (like I do), try some java moss on a piece of driftwood, or floating hornwort.
They are very inexpensive, and should grow under this aqueon light.

As for something that works as an upgrade...
I'm hoping my local shop will order the Aqueon versa-top for me, and not jack the price up. It is way too expensive to order it online and have it shipped (for me).
Check the aqueon web site for info on the versa-top for the 36 bowfront.

If you can get the top, you can consider looking into a new light fixture.

Good Luck

im confused!! what wud a top have to do with upgrading the light, is the hood on the starter kit not letting all the light in on the plants??

the hood that came with your tank will not accommodate a larger light fixture that would be needed to grow live plants. a versa-top is an all glass top that can accommodate practically any lighting you wish.

Yes.
The original hood has that cutout in the center to let light through, but an upgrade light fixture (2x 24watt T5HO bulbs is the upgrade light I'd suggest) won't fit the original hood over the cutout. Half the light won't enter the tank.

The glass top will allow you to put a larger light fixture on top.

You don't need a lid, none of my tanks have one. Look at T5HO fixtures, those are the best option for plants in terms of light and cost IMO

my T5 HO fixtures specifically say to not use over an aquarium with no top (but to be honest i do it anyway on my hex tank... :whistle:) should i (continue to ;)) not listen to the warnings? it does make me nervous, and i always replace the top at night while the light is off...

You don't need a lid, none of my tanks have one. Look at T5HO fixtures, those are the best option for plants in terms of light and cost IMO
I agree you don't need one. The light fixture will then need to clamp on to the sides or have legs.
My cat also agrees but for different reasons, so I need a lid :lol:

my T5 HO fixtures specifically say to not use over an aquarium with no top (but to be honest i do it anyway on my hex tank... :whistle:) should i (continue to ;)) not listen to the warnings? it does make me nervous, and i always replace the top at night while the light is off...
It's a legal disclaimer, so you can't sue them if your fixture were to mysteriously fall in the tank and electrocute you. Kind of like those disclaimers on the steaming hot cups of coffee that say they're hot. If you don't drop the fixture in the water, it's most likely going to be fine.

I agree you don't need one. The light fixture will then need to clamp on to the sides or have legs.
My cat also agrees but for different reasons, so I need a lid :lol:
Now... a cat... yeah, I can see needing one for that reason.

Back
Top Bottom