Plant ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cichlid Kid

Aquarium Advice Addict
Does anyone know this aquatic plant? I found it in pennsylvania and I dont think its invasive. Was wondering if it would be safe for aquaria use and what its requirements for growing would be?

ForumRunner_20120204_175110.jpg

Noone? Really? I may be in the wrong forum I guess. Dont know how to switch to fresh n brackish.

it almost looks like some water wisteria I had that was grown emersed but if that plant you have was grown submerged then its probably something different

It's almost definitely not wisteria. H. difformis is not native to the US, and probably wouldn't be found growing wild in PA. Further, the stem and leaf morphology doesn't match up.

I thought it looked like Cardamine Lyrata. It's not, but close. I'm thinking maybe Cardamine pensylvanica? Problem being that Pensylvanica has like 8 different leaf morphologies, but at least one is close.

Lol I didn't even read the description, go me.

Are you certain that it's a fully aquatic plant and not just one that was submerged? There are a lot of semi-aquatics that grow along the shorelines that will get submerged from time to time.

Both of the plants I linked are apparently 'boggy' type plants. I probably wouldn't put either of them in a tank.

It grows the whole circumfrence of a pond behind my house. Half underwater & half out, out to a depth of around 3'

Back
Top Bottom