Plant ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Carrie1

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I need some help with a plant id. I found these around my pond. They were around the edge and a few inches in the water. Also a few leaves have a reddish tint to them. I can get better pictures if needed. Any help is appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_20170518_224741.jpg
    IMG_20170518_224741.jpg
    233.7 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_20170518_224351.jpg
    IMG_20170518_224351.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_20170518_224442.jpg
    IMG_20170518_224442.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 80
Heres another picture if its any help. I kind of hope its not a brazilian sword as I just read they arent fully aquatic

Attachments

• IMG_20170519_221735.jpg
    IMG_20170519_221735.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 61
Heres another picture if its any help. I kind of hope its not a brazilian sword as I just read they arent fully aquatic

It's hard to tell. I'm generally only good with plants in a submerged state, leaf shape generally changes a lot once submerged

I might throw one in some water and see what happens. I was hoping it would be ok submersed because I like the look of it and I thought it would look good in my 55. I guess time will tell lol.

So after looking at crazy amounts of brazilian sword pics I dont believe thats what it is. The emersed growth looks a little different. Ugh! I just want to figure out what it is so I know where I can put it. Alright back to google to drive myself even more crazy lol

So after looking at crazy amounts of brazilian sword pics I dont believe thats what it is. The emersed growth looks a little different. Ugh! I just want to figure out what it is so I know where I can put it. Alright back to google to drive myself even more crazy lol

Ahh no sure then sorry [emoji20]

So I have been racking my brain trying to figure this out. Since going in my filter they have already grown quite a few new leaves though! I was looking at radican swords if I remember correctly (Ive looked at so many they all run together lmao) any thoughts if it could be that? Also since its been grown emersed and I put it in water should I expect some significant die off whether its fully aquatic or not? Thanks again!

So I have been racking my brain trying to figure this out. Since going in my filter they have already grown quite a few new leaves though! I was looking at radican swords if I remember correctly (Ive looked at so many they all run together lmao) any thoughts if it could be that? Also since its been grown emersed and I put it in water should I expect some significant die off whether its fully aquatic or not? Thanks again!

Yea if it's a an aquatic it will transition to a submerged state. Generally the old growth will die out and have to be cut off but the new growth should come through within a few weeks. If u don't get any growth and it all melts away then chance are it's semi aquatic. Look for even the smallest new shoots once it's submerged :)

Alright thank you! Im so impatient and keep checking to see if its doing anything lol. Well I have my fingers crossed that it will grow under water but only time will tell! Also do you think it will grow in low light? I have a stock hood and light on the tank right now since its not planted but I do have a better light lying around somewhere if need be.

Alright thank you! Im so impatient and keep checking to see if its doing anything lol. Well I have my fingers crossed that it will grow under water but only time will tell! Also do you think it will grow in low light? I have a stock hood and light on the tank right now since its not planted but I do have a better light lying around somewhere if need be.

Yea I'd say it would be a low light plant. The larger leaf plants generally are low light :)

So I have some news. I can see 2 tiny little leaves coming in since its been under water! Is this a good sign its aquatic?

So I have some news. I can see 2 tiny little leaves coming in since its been under water! Is this a good sign its aquatic?

Could be ;) keep an eye on it tho if they continue to grow and look healthy u should be fine ;)

The plant is growing at a crazy rate under water. Im getting new leaves almost every day! Really surprised. Old leaves are dying off and new ones look great but I am keeping an eye on it. I have 2 large pothos and a small philodendron growing in a hob filter should I worry about dosing ferts? I also have a new stem plant in the tank thats doing great.

So just a quick update if you are still around the plant is doing well. New leaves are much smaller but look good. Im seeing tons of new root growth as well. Need to pick up some root tabs for them. All is well still!

Back
Top Bottom