Plant ID and Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chinoanoah

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just received my first ever plants (low-light), can you ID these and tell me how to plant, or whether to plant these? Thanks!

This plant has long roots, do I just plant it or do I attach it to driftwood?
img0894gg3.jpg

This must be Java Moss, attach w/ string to Driftwood right? Any other way of planting?
img0895ia5.jpg

Now what is this, and how do I plant this?
img0897hx8.jpg

These have no roots:
img0898vm8.jpg

A thinner specimen of the above plant?
img0900dq6.jpg

I'm not very good at this but I'll try. :)
The first plant looks like an anubias and you can either plant it or tie it to something.
the second pic looks like maybe baby tears? I would plant the cut ends of the stems.
the third looks like it could be anacharis and again, plant the cut ends.
fourth pic looks like pennywort. plant the cut ends
fifth pic looks like ludwigia. plant the cut ends.

I'm sure one of the more experienced plant folks will be by to correct me. ;)

I'm gonna agree with Cindy. :D

I can't tell exactly what species of Anubias that first on is, but its an Anubias and they are all planted the same.

That last one may be Ludwigia palustris. I can't say for sure though.

Whoohoo! If Kristin agrees, I done good. :D All pretty great plants. Good luck with them!

When you plant the anubias, make sure you don't get the rhizome covered by the substrate. The rhizome is the fat thing the roots are coming out of. Problem is that burying the rhizome of an anubias or of a java fern is the number one way to kill the plant. It is the reason most people will tie it to a piece of wood or an ornament close to the substrate with some fishing line and let it root itself.
The anacharis can be planted so that the leaves point upward at the stem but I just float them loose in my tank until they develop some root looking things and then try to plant the stems. The problem with just planting the stems is that it is hard to get them to stay where you put them. If you could get them to stay in place from the start it might be better to start out with them planted.
I don't have the other plants so no opinion there.

Back
Top Bottom