Plant ID anyone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Taiken5968

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I got this fern looking plant sometime ago. It seems to be growing but just very slow. I just wanted done more info on it. I don't currently use co2 but I plan to soon.

Attachments

• image-1770758735.jpg
    image-1770758735.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 100
Most Ferns don't get planted. See if it looks like a Bolbitis species. Tie to wood or rock or plant little roots but do NOT bury the thick sideways root called the Rhizome.

Most Ferns don't get planted. See if it looks like a Bolbitis species. Tie to wood or rock or plant little roots but do NOT bury the thick sideways root called the Rhizome.

Thanks for the advice. I didn't know anything about these ferns. When I bought it there was nothing that said it couldn't be buried. Glad I know now that the root is suppose to be sideways. Will the roots grab ahold to the rocks or wood?

It looks like Bolbitus to me. I've got one that has gotten pretty good sized in my 220. If you tie the root area onto a piece of DW or even a rock it will eventually adhere to it and continue to grow and spread. They are slow growers.

It looks like Bolbitus to me. I've got one that has gotten pretty good sized in my 220. If you tie the root area onto a piece of DW or even a rock it will eventually adhere to it and continue to grow and spread. They are slow growers.

I'll do that when I get home thanks. Will it stick to fake decorations as well?

I don't know if they will. But if they are slick/glazed I doubt they would.

It's fine to leave it there. I've lost a couple baby pieces of bolbutis in my 220 before and when I finally accidently find it the little plant has always grown. I just stick it on a rock or DW and it eventually attaches and grows.

It's fine to leave it there. I've lost a couple baby pieces of bolbutis in my 220 before and when I finally accidently find it the little plant has always grown. I just stick it on a rock or DW and it eventually attaches and grows.

I got some drift wood from petco and I tied it to that. It seem like it is going to take forever for that drift wood to water log.

Here is a picture.

Attachments

• image-823932827.jpg
    image-823932827.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 46
Back
Top Bottom