Plant ID Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
First one could be A. undulatus or A. crispus...either way you've got a nice big plant there! From the pics i can find online, I can't tell them apart.

maxwell1295 said:
The third one looks like it could be a Black Sword (Echinodorus parviflorus), but it's hard to tell. A lot of the sword plants look very similar to me.

Check this page to see if you can match them up: http://www.plantgeek.net/plantguide_search.php?search=Echinodorus&type=Search
Can not say I am a big fan of plant geek, whenever I try to use it to id a plant, half the plants in a genus do not have pictures. most times it is more frustrating then helpful :cry:

I agree with you 100%, but they also seem to have a pretty good collection of pics. Sometimes it's helpful, sometime not.....that's for sure.

newfound77951 said:
A. crispus
I think it looks a little more like this pic. plantgeek says it should be 16-20 inchs tall!! if this is correct, mine is only 3 inch tall and over a year old! i wonder what might be stunting its growth :roll:

last time i checked it...
Ammonia/Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10
PH 8.0
KH= 250.6 ppm
GH= 179 ppm
Phosphate = 1 ppm

I have had both undulatus and crispus. The crispus tends to be greener, than undulatus.The real difference between the two is that the crispus will produce flowers, while the undulatus will form plantlets on the "flower" stalk, much like most swords. My crispus never got that big. Since they form bulbs, that determine thew size of the next growth, the size of the bulb will determine the size of the plant.There are many crosses in Aponogetons, and the only sure way to see whether you have a specific species is to examine the flower.

BillD said:
There are many crosses in Aponogetons, and the only sure way to see whether you have a specific species is to examine the flower.
Did you say flowers??? ok, here you go!

Nice flowers :) The third pic could easily be any of a number of sword plants. The spade-shaped leaves remind me of Ozelot swords, but it is hard to tell at this point. With some more submersed growth it should be easier to tell.

travis simonson said:
Nice flowers :) The third pic could easily be any of a number of sword plants. The spade-shaped leaves remind me of Ozelot swords, but it is hard to tell at this point. With some more submersed growth it should be easier to tell.
well i noticed that it has a new leaf gowing that is red!!!!

I don´t want to steal your thread but I would like to know what type of plants are these:

Plant 1....
img_643258_0_ec3c72be4fe494b42219985201a5ad06.jpg

plant 1 from another perspective..
img_643258_1_6ef1b4e3bd1c8e68dc4998125719b09f.jpg

Plant 2
img_643258_2_f0e74058710c184e6f742ae2ff10cd20.jpg

plant2..
img_643258_3_1d3bed88a9c7b0f084e2a445da6ed51b.jpg

Plant one is Cambomba (carolinia probably) and plant 2 is C. demersum, or hornwort.
Jdogg, the flower means it is definitely not undulatus. It is more likely crispus or a hybrid of crispus and another. I can't remeber whether crispus has a double or single flower, although I have cultivated the seeds from them. If you take a small paint brush and transfer some pollen from the stamens to the pistil, you sjould get seeds.

BillD said:
If you take a small paint brush and transfer some pollen from the stamens to the pistil, you sjould get seeds.
i had a couple of seeds floating, i planted them in the substrate now.

The seeds will normally sink on their own and start to root where they land. It is difficult to get them up to a decent size , but good luck. Aponogetons are a bulb plant, and normally they will die back, and then regrow from the new bulb. Some require a dormant period out of the water in a cool place before they regrow. Some will regrow if left in the tank.
As an aside to igongora, the hornwwort will never root. The plant usually will have the bottom die off. It can be cleaned up and replanted or left floating. Always trim from the bottom. You must have access to some cool fish in Nicauragua. Do you collect any yourself?

Back
Top Bottom