Plant ID plus more plant info

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ejaramillo01

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 100 G community tank, 2 T5 HO bulbs in the canopy, 54W each. With 6,000K each. Natural White.
I dont use CO2 (I'm not planning to add neither).

I have mostly plastic plants, with some java moss, jungle vals (But this one is badly damaged because my SAE love to eat it), and my lfs sold me this one:
View attachment 37742

Can you help me to ID... Is this one will survive in my tank?
:huh:

JustOneMore20 said:
Looks to be lobelia cardinalis. How long has it been in there? It usually prefers more light than you have, but it looks like its sending out new healthy leaves.

Has been there just 3 days....
BTW I keep my lights on for 5 hours, Do I need to increase the time with the lights on?

I wanted to say it's lobelia cardinalis but I've never seen L. cardinalis purplish. So I'd say it isn't. Eitherway, you're going to want more light, the least you can do right now is leave the light on for ~7-9 hours a day. I'll get back to you on the exact species...

edit:I think it's hyptis lorentziana...it's just not at it's fullest due to lack of light.

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/plantfinder/details.php?id=150&category=aquascape_placement&spec=Red

...it could also be some variant of L. cardinalis. or even its emersed form converting to submerged. I'd say give it time and see.

Last edited:
I think it's L. cardinalis. The picture looks a bit blue on my screen, making the red look purple. The general rule is any red plant needs at least medium light levels.

Back
Top Bottom