Plant ID (sorry)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trout11B

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey everyone, I'm sure this is a common species but I'm just not finding any leads. I picked it up without a tag (not the greatest idea, I'll admit it) thinking I'd be able to ID without a problem later on. If someone could help me out I'd appreciate it.

To avoid any confusion I am referring to the plant in the foreground with red stems. Thanks again.

Attachments

• image-2815073948.jpg
    image-2815073948.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 78
Ludwigia palustris seems like a good guess. Quite a few ludwigia species have that red stem-green leaf appearance when grown emersed. It definitely looks like it needs a few weeks in tank to adjust to submerged growth before it start to take off.

That looks like the one, I guess I didn't realize that it would possibly be emersed. Any suggestions on cultivating it and encouraging the submerged growth, I feel bad because I took some stems out that I thought were just dying.

Thanks again for the help.

Nope, just provide good conditions all around and it will come around. It will probably loose a lot of leaves in the process though.

Alright, sounds good. So I should I pluck the leaves or allow them to fall off?

It certainly could be. Emersed stems can be difficult to ID, especially when they are in poor health or transitioning. I would say a nesaea sp. is as good a guess as my initial guess, although it's somewhat less likely to find its way into random pet stores than ludwigia species.

Back
Top Bottom