Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-14-2014, 02:28 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Plant identification

I was given 2 stems of a plant for free with a plant package order. I can't remember what they told me it was and I can't find any pics anywhere that looks exactly like these. They are skinny and grow tall very fast. Propagation is super easy, cutting the stem and replanting it. It takes a few days for the new stem to take root, and my adfs constantly pull it out until it roots. I love this plant especially for how fast it grows and how easily to cut and replant. Can anyone please tell me what it is? The tallest one has a piece of hornwort caught on it. I started with two tall nice hornworts, but frogs have since broken them into several smaller piece which are now scattered, lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1415989554284.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	255738   Click image for larger version

Name:	1415989566505.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	255739  

Click image for larger version

Name:	1415989578210.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	255740  

Old 11-14-2014, 09:19 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

It looks to me like Najas guadalupensis or guppy grass.

Old 11-15-2014, 09:29 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via Skype™ to FishCr8zy
No it is not guppy grass. I believe it could be limnophila aromatica.

FishCr8zy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 01:07 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Looked up pics of the limnophila. Thats not it. Its stem isn't as thick and the leaves aren't as close together. It does closely resemble the naja, but yet it doesn't branch off like naja does. Just grows straight up, thin and tall. I have since cut the taller one. It will root and be as tall as it was within a week or two.

Old 11-15-2014, 01:15 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Oh also guppy grass is floating plant. This one doesn't seem to grow well while floating. My frogs knocked a new replant loose and it got lost within my water sprite. I found it a couple weeks later while weeding out the sprite. Although it didn't die while floating, it didn't grow any bigger at all.

Old 11-15-2014, 06:44 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Any chance you can write and ask whoever you got the plants from what it is again ? It's interesting looking.

It's for sure not Najas, at least, not N. guadalupensis, which is the most common one of the Najas. It can root and grow in substrate, but is most often seen as a subsurface floater. Najas is one of my faves for fry tanks, and it's really quite versatile.
Old 11-15-2014, 11:45 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

I wish I could ask, but they were from a different forum and I can't find their user name anymore. They are very similar to some ludwigia i've seen, but they don't turn red and spacing between branches is larger. It seems like a dainty plant, but its not. It grows almost as fast as my sprite. Idk. Whatever it is, its doing great in my tank and I will have a mini forest of them before long.

Old 12-02-2014, 01:16 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Update: never figured out what they were and now they are all gone. I had to spot treat some wood above them for tiny spots of BBA using peroxide. Took care of any little tufts, but the downward flow of the peroxide also took out my tall lovelies. I'm saddened. I can't replace when I don't even know what they were.

Old 12-02-2014, 05:45 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Bummer. Did you try asking on thePlantedTank ? Might be somebody there who could ID it.. the pics are not bad at all, so may be worth trying. It's like any forum, free to join.
Old 12-03-2014, 12:07 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

I've looked up stuff there but not a member nor do I post. I'm not going to look that hard cause it would be something i'd have to order and not doing that for a while. They were nice, bit a bit fragile for my frogs!

Tags
identification, plant, plant id, plant identification

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com