Plant identification

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

candygirl415

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was given 2 stems of a plant for free with a plant package order. I can't remember what they told me it was and I can't find any pics anywhere that looks exactly like these. They are skinny and grow tall very fast. Propagation is super easy, cutting the stem and replanting it. It takes a few days for the new stem to take root, and my adfs constantly pull it out until it roots. I love this plant especially for how fast it grows and how easily to cut and replant. Can anyone please tell me what it is? The tallest one has a piece of hornwort caught on it. I started with two tall nice hornworts, but frogs have since broken them into several smaller piece which are now scattered, lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1415989554284.jpg
    1415989554284.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 112
  • 1415989566505.jpg
    1415989566505.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 123
  • 1415989578210.jpg
    1415989578210.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 117
Looked up pics of the limnophila. Thats not it. Its stem isn't as thick and the leaves aren't as close together. It does closely resemble the naja, but yet it doesn't branch off like naja does. Just grows straight up, thin and tall. I have since cut the taller one. It will root and be as tall as it was within a week or two.

Oh also guppy grass is floating plant. This one doesn't seem to grow well while floating. My frogs knocked a new replant loose and it got lost within my water sprite. I found it a couple weeks later while weeding out the sprite. Although it didn't die while floating, it didn't grow any bigger at all.

Any chance you can write and ask whoever you got the plants from what it is again ? It's interesting looking.

It's for sure not Najas, at least, not N. guadalupensis, which is the most common one of the Najas. It can root and grow in substrate, but is most often seen as a subsurface floater. Najas is one of my faves for fry tanks, and it's really quite versatile.

I wish I could ask, but they were from a different forum and I can't find their user name anymore. They are very similar to some ludwigia i've seen, but they don't turn red and spacing between branches is larger. It seems like a dainty plant, but its not. It grows almost as fast as my sprite. Idk. Whatever it is, its doing great in my tank and I will have a mini forest of them before long.

Update: never figured out what they were and now they are all gone. I had to spot treat some wood above them for tiny spots of BBA using peroxide. Took care of any little tufts, but the downward flow of the peroxide also took out my tall lovelies. I'm saddened. I can't replace when I don't even know what they were.

Bummer. Did you try asking on thePlantedTank ? Might be somebody there who could ID it.. the pics are not bad at all, so may be worth trying. It's like any forum, free to join.

I've looked up stuff there but not a member nor do I post. I'm not going to look that hard cause it would be something i'd have to order and not doing that for a while. They were nice, bit a bit fragile for my frogs!

Back
Top Bottom